Phillips EL6910 Reverb/Delay machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKADEK

This is a machine Ive had for 5 years in slowly progressing going-ness.
One thing left to do is replace the recording oxide coating on the disk edge.
Im thinking that this will bring the bottom end response back up. its already a great sounding playable thing in my studio ... and when its response is full and the slight gliches of surface wear are gone.... it might just be spectacular.
ray1_1.jpg
[/img][/url]

judging from the valve types 1960 i think. it was used untill early 80s as p.a delay machine in a large outdoor arena The sidney myer music bowl in melbourne

That's nice info. I mean, never seen anything about such a thing here in the 'Philips capital' and then one shows up at the other side of the world ! :grin:

it was made in Einderhoven. weighs 216 kg. specifys originaly at +-2db 60-15Khz. maximum delay (at low speed 450ms). has line and mic inputs. 4 delay channels that mix back to regenerate. hum and noise is -64db.
raycontrol.jpg

I need to discover a paint/spray magnetic oxide substance to renew the edge recording surface which is a little marked and worn. The heads sit slightly away from the spinning disk(airgap). The surface doesnt wear out but it has been marked and bumped and touched over its lifetime and is essentially old like 40 year old oxide tape. any ideas?

There's some info & links around on the geofex.com site about non-tape, non-BBD delays like oil-drum types etc. Dunno if there's a clue amongst them for your problem ?

http://groups.msn.com/zoomrfx2000andotherechoes

some links and people there

www.meazzi.com

another place, info about old Meazzi´s and the famous drum echo

www.binson.com

ta for those links. never heard of binson before. very desire-able units.
ive emailed service contact. hopeful of some response.
Any other ideas?

Interesting file Dave, thanks !

FWIW, I did a search (Ph. company archives) for more publications of this Mr. R. Vermeulen and as it turns out he's written quite a few reports on all things acoustic. Unfortun., these reports are not available in electronic form and for reasons unknown to me after some 50 years they're still classified as 'restricted' :roll: Oh, and they're all in Dutch :wink:

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]This paper (written by a Philips engineer and published in the IRE Transactions on Audio in 1956) will probably be of great interest!

PDF[/quote]

Have just read it, nice ! Learned a thing or two along the way, like that Fig.10.
Could imagine a compensation of the Haas-effect (assuming its indeed this) by level is possible,
but hadn't seen any dB-vs-ms-figures before.

Thanks again,

Peter

Back