Tips: What would be a real spanking buss compressor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Build the SSL-Clone. It's great for much of the stuff where the G10 is too obvious.

A dual-linked 1176 would be a good tool as well - maybe with the FET-mis-matching trick that goes on in the distressor?

Opto comps are not really that hard to do either..

Jakob E.

if you can build a 33609 you should, I havent done one mix without that thing since I got it years ago... You'll want to add an attack control to it if you are using it on the mix buss, thats my only gripe with mine, but it sounds so damn good I put up with the fastish attack....

dave

There is 2254/33609 variants being worked on by some of the usual suspects. These guys are busy people and perfectionists so patience is a must.

The SSL is just too easy and cheap not to build the basic Jakob layout. If you like it to death then you can look into making a second one with some of the improvement that have been discussed here and the old place.

Yes a dual 1176 ... OR a variant of the 1178. Perhaps use the dual FET of the 1178 but use a discrete gain stage as per the 1176.
I'm still keen on using a gain block post FET.

FWIW, I never see that much of a following for 1176 on the two-bus when the non-tech recording folks do their polls on the topic. Maybe some of it is the stereo tracking issues.

Bear

I´ve build a few stereo 1176 based compressors, transformerless classA and with neve o/p for gain makeup. it sounds cool on the 2 bus but (too) dirty on complex mixes. the max attacktime is a bit short for this kind of application, but hey, aren´t we DIY`ers? :green: anybody tried a 50 or 100K attack pot?

steff

Id use an 1176 on the two bus, no prob, but Im also making records that allow for a lot of distortion, I dont think that would be a good choice for celine dion. This is totally subjective, but a vari-mu limiter on the two bus, although I know peeps who do it, for me, would be WAAAY to much of a mush factor on my mixes. If you want something snappy a varimu would be at the end of my list of suggestions. My big problem with the stuff I record is keeping things from getting too slow and muddy, a varimu on the way out would totally fuck me up... Really all depends on what you are mixing and how you work (duh), but a varimu would sure be colored, thats for sure.

I could use an 1176 for everything and be completely happy. As it is, I probably use that box for %70 of sources when tracking.

dave

Latest posts

Back