Neumann Summing Box - Questions and suggestions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andia

GDIY Supporter
Hi! I'm fairly new to this forum but it has helped me out several times.

My latest project is a summing box based around neumann cards.

I made up the following concept:

The summing box will have 16 inputs and 3-4 stereo outputs (master, monitor1, monitor2, headphones)
The signals go through a neumann relaiscard (RK17) - from there the signals go into the summing amplifiercard N475-2 - then the stereo signal is sent to the distributionampcard N482 to distribute the signal to the different outputs.
This should work. The inputsignals can be switched on and of with the help of the relaiscard. I want to use these switches http://www1.at.conrad.com/scripts/w...er_js=Y&shop=A_B2C_AT&p_init_ipc=X&~cookies=1
Do they work?

Furthermore I want to ask you to suggest some trimpots for Mastervolume, Monitorvolume, Headphonevolume! The pots would be located after the distributionamplifier. Should I go for stepped attenuators?

Then I want to ask you where you would place a mutebutton for the monitorautputs and what switch could be used?

Thanks for any input,

andi

Hi Andia,

First of all, welcome to the LAB! I like your idea of a summing box using the Neumann 475-2 active summing card. I have one as well and right now I'm thinking of the best way of implementing it in a summing box.
Since the output of the distribution amps is balanced you should use a 4 gang pot or a 4 deck rotary switch if you want a stepped master volume control. Elma makes these but a 4 X 24 rotary switch will costs you at least 100 euro but I think it will be more. Stepped controls are the way to go but expensive....

About the switches: you can't post a link from conrad like that because they expire after a couple of minutes...
Post the part number instead.

Hi radiance, hi kubi!

Thanks for your answers! yes, it's the v475 :oops:

Kubi:
With the help of the relaiscard all lines are switched to ground when they not used (switched off), at least that's what i read out of the schematics.

How do I connect more than one output without the distribution amp?

radiance:
these stepped rotary switches are really expensive :sad: but I want to get good stuff, so if I don't find something cheap QualitystuffI have to go for something like elma.

Sorry about the conradlink, I didn't know they expire, so here is the part number (www.conrad.de) 706353 - 13

any other input extremly welcome!!!

andi

i got some new Ideas for the box!

First I will add 8 double pan-pot modules (W687D) to the box for the ability to pan the signals.

I also thought about something like a masterinsert: What I would do is to put 2 more xlr out's and in's in the box. The signal would go out the xlr's - through the inserted device - and then come back to the input's. when I have nothing inserted I just would patch the out to the input with a xlr cable. Is this possible/ good idea???

Then I had an idea about the attenuators:

I will use the distributioncards V482 to build a seperate box with some fadermodules and a monitor/controlroom/talkback section.
Will the faders do the "same" job as the stepped attenuators (except for the faders not to be stepped)?

Hey Andia.
I have some nice Neumann and lawo modules that could be of interest for you.
For instance : Lawo stereo to mono, active balanced, no level jump in mono.
Lawo 4 to 1 input module(brand new) 4 sources to 1 output.

PM me if interested

Back