Modding Furman PL-PLus from 120V to 240V (moving back to UK)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadwould

So... i have a few (5) Furman PL PLus power conditioners. they are US spec 120V models with a 90-130 V meter on the front.

i am moving back to Lonodnd and need these to be 240V.

yes, these have Edison plugs on the back, but all of the equipment is dual voltage and is already neatly cable tied in their road racks... so no worries there.

I wouldlike these to work as the normal 240V version.

i can send the PDFs of the american and the EU/UK versions to anyone via email...

Now... for me to be able to have the Voltage meter working (at double.. so instead of 90-130, it would be 180-260... i will write that on ethe front) i think i could do it in a could of ways. 1 way is put a 2:1 xfmr in the path to the meter PCB... so the meter would still be getting the 120V range but it willbe representing the 240V range. or i could do something else. from the schematics it looks like there is more than one was to skin this cat. (involving cutting traces and removing a few compponents.. and possibly adding one or two components and changing risitor values as well.....)

the other part to this is replaceing the MOVs (Varistors) with ones rated for 240V.... great no problem.... well one problem. i have no idea how to read a varistor to know its specs. (aside from the Voltage rating) is there any other spec i need to think about???

i also have a few other units that just need varistors replaced.. so once i figure that out.. the varistor ratings... those should be sorted.

thank you all for any help of insight.

[quote author="quadwould"]i have no idea how to read a varistor to know its specs. (aside from the Voltage rating) is there any other spec i need to think about???[/quote]
Yes there are power ratings as well.

You probably need 250V or 275V varistors. If you can't read the codes on the ones you have, just look at the size. The high power ones are big (big surprise :wink:).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

its a little strange.

all 3 of these say the same spec, but on the phone (to Furman yesterday) they said 2 wold be 250V and 1 would be 130V... well i have 3 that are 130V.....

i need (from what the schematic is saying...) 2 at 480V and 1 at 240V.

here is what theones i have say: S20, K130, 9846

the 9846 i suppose is a part number... the sompany logo is a triangle with "S+K" in it.

so what is the "S20"???

S20 is the part number. 9846 is a date code.

I don't remember who that logo is, but it looks like Epcos makes S20 varistors.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

hey Thanks.. i will look in to it.

Does anyone know of a small 2:1 transformer?? It has to handle 240V to 120V. but very low amps... it just needs to feed the display pcb... i ddont think that pcn will draw much current.. (it shouldn't).. also it need to fit into the 1U Chassis.

Latest posts

Back