5 core shielded audio cable in Australia..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufo

God damn, why does this have to be so hard to find?

Im not that fussy, 6 or 7, or even 8 core Id accept. I have rung/been everywhere.

ANY leads fellow Aussies ??

Altronics has 6, 9 and 25 conductor shielded cable and Dick Smith has 5, 8 and 12 conductor. Just substitute the word "data" for "audio". It's fully shielded - I won't tell your audio that it's going down data cable if you don't :wink:

Thanks Mnats. Where are alltronics located?

I have seen the shielded data cable at DS, but i wasnt sure if the shield was actually wrapped round the conductors. It looked like it may just run along side. Il check it out more closely.

Where are alltronics located?
Alltronics is the name of a surplus place in Northern California. Altronics is based in Perth with retail operations in NSW and VIC (Prince's H'way, I think). Maybe it's run by someone named Al. There are also lots of stockists (David Reid in that strip of electronic shops behind the QVB in Sydney, for example).
I have seen the shielded data cable at DS, but i wasnt sure if the shield was actually wrapped round the conductors. It looked like it may just run along side. Il check it out more closely.
Sheilds don't ever run just down one side, but a drain wire sometimes does for easy soldering at the ends. Sometimes the shield can be a loose braid or just distributed strands that doesn't physically cover every tiny bit of the central conductor(s) though. Often there is a foil shield + drain wire and that is probably what they use for data cables since the ground often has to fit into a tiny pin at the ends. Sometimes poorly-made cable can be a source of microphonics so depending on what your application is you might want to have a think on what sort of cable to use.

Back