For those WITH THRUST filters in their GSSL's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufo

So its been a while since this idea was floated and a number of guys made it and added to their GSSL's.

I figure there has been a fair amount of fiddling time since then...

Just out of curiosity, Id liek to know what your thoughts are now on it.

Has it been worthwhile? Does it always work in a positive way when you try it in line? Sometimes, never? That sort of thing. Thanks.

i have found it to be useful and good sounding in some mixes, in other mixes it sounds strange or just plain bad. However this is the same with any other equipment.. the right device for the right job!

however.. I built 4 Gssls, two at a time. the first two i used wet tantalums in the control circuit and the second two i used dry tants(standard). these two sound completely different from each other! the wet tants have a much more smooth compression and tend to smooth the highs too. the dry tants tend to be a little more punchy and not so smoothing. I used the thrust filter in one of the dry tant compressors. I have yet to try one in the wet tant compressor. I also suggest the use of the thrust bypass switch, maybe even a hard bypass for the thrust section altogether though i haven't tried this yet.

:thumb:

Not tried the thrust circuit yet. I love the DAV(exDecca) mix compressor/limiter that has a hi/lo pass arrangement in the control circuitry, but not on every mix. Depends on the track, as Svart says. So I guess it could be very usefull sometimes. I am very interested by Svart's observation v.v. wet/dry tant caps in the control circuitry. I hadn't even considered that any difference could occur here. After all, aren't all caps the same? - HA! - only kidding folks! I have just been searching for wet tants of sufficiently low value. The Vishay caps are in values above 1u7 for instance. Anyone any ideas for a supplier in the UK for u47 and 6u8 wet tants?

Thanks, Guys,

ANdyP

Latest posts

Back