Swizz Army tells all! Some mic cables are wired to the plug?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aj

Just got my Swizz Army 6-in-1 cable tester. Oh, the things we learn.

Like this:

I've noticed that some of my mic cables have their XLR 'Out' plug pin 1 internally connected to the plug housing. Other mic cables I own do not.

Question I have is.... when I need a longer cable run, is it ok to connect one of these non-ground shielded mic cables (that is, with pin 1 NOT connected to the plug housing) to one of my 'properly' grounded ones? What happens when I do this?

I'm actually asking because I'm trying to troubleshoot a long-standing problem in my rig - involving occasional intermittent (grrr...!) 'doubling' and 'phasi-ness' on tracks I record. Can't seem to track it down; maybe it's related to this?

Anyway.

Adam

daisy-chaining cables from shorted to non-shorted is no problem. The second shell gets shorted by the first.

The only time there might be a difference is if there's a required break at the destination. As soon as the signal travels 1 inch down the cable, there's no fourth conductor (unless it's a special Neumann cable!) to determine whether they were ever connected.

The only difference as far as daisy-chained cables is when NEITHER of them have the connection; then your cable is unshielded for about an inch of it's travel, essentially insignificant.

MOST mics have the two joined at the mic, though I think some Neumanns (early U87s for example) might have the seperation at the mic, allowing the option to keep Shield and phantom 0Volts seperate.

This is a distinction which is largely ignored by most mic manufacturers and so most cables into most mics won't make a bit of difference.

Keith

I'm actually asking because I'm trying to troubleshoot a long-standing problem in my rig - involving occasional intermittent (grrr...!) 'doubling' and 'phasi-ness' on tracks I record. Can't seem to track it down; maybe it's related to this?

Hmm pin 1 issues will cause hum problems not doubling or Phasi-ness without knowing your system, A DAW? it's most likely latency. I suggest one of severial corrections. Change the playback buffer, 2. If PT LE or m-powered use low latency mode when recording. The worst would be the nudge the tracks until the phasi-ness goes away...

I love my swizz army tester. It could use a few more features, but it's a great time saver.

Although......... Check this out:
http://www.behringer.com/CT100/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Look familiar? :roll:

We used XLRs as headphone connectors back in the UK. When we used QUAD 405 and 520 amplifiers, the speaker output ground would send the amplifier absolutely BESERK if it saw a short-to-signal-ground at the end of a long cable. The answer was to use color-coded cables for headphones, tested ground-link free.

I kid you not, it would KILL people wearing headphones fs you inserted a grounded-shell XLR into the wall connector!!! -It didn't care from that point onwards though; extensions could be any variety.

The practical upshot as it affects my philosophy on this, is that for things like AES digital cables the inch of 'non-shielding' might be worth correcting if it's going to be used near interference-sensitive stuff, but for most conditions it might be safer to use non-grounded shells.

Your Mileage May Vary... -and almost certainly will.

Ethan, that Behringer is a direct copy. It even does the same lamp test if you slide the switch one click up while holding the button. (you did know about that one...-right? :wink: ) -For a fraction of the cost of the original though, I'm all about the Bear-wringer!

Keith

Thanks for all the replies guys, learned a lot as always...

BTW, my 'doubling' problem is most likely a soundcard issue (RME HDSP 9652) - interacting poorly with Nuendo. Still can't figure that one out; problem only seems to happen when I use ASIO direct monitoring.

Wish RME had less surly support.

Adam

direct monitoring involves the latency setting of teh card.. i rarely do direct monitoring for this issue too..
It's normal..
but if i can remember correctly, the rme have a patchbay software where you can route any in to any out.. do that for monitoring, give it a try.

Latest posts

Back