Is it possible to make rev log pots from log pots?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syn

I need some pots 50k alog dual gang.I was thinking to use 50k log instead
if it would be possible to reverse them somehow.
Thank you

[quote author="syn"]I need some pots 50k alog dual gang.I was thinking to use 50k log instead
if it would be possible to reverse them somehow.
Thank you[/quote]

You can do it with two gears, but it won't feel very good without some pretty decent bearings and maybe one anti-backlash gear as well.

Probably a lot more work than sourcing the rev log pot.

Some potentiometers used to be available as kits, and might be adapted to assembling the elements flipped over from the normal configuration.

An old trick to use the standard log pot is to put your number scale on the skirt of the knob, and your pointer mark on the faceplate. The numbers still go up, but you're actually turning the pot backwards.

[quote author="Crusty2"]An old trick to use the standard log pot is to put your number scale on the skirt of the knob, and your pointer mark on the faceplate. The numbers still go up, but you're actually turning the pot backwards.[/quote]

Ah...that's very clever. I never heard that before.

:thumb:

That's the way old Tek scopes' vertical gain switches work, where it was an expedient to showing the sensitivity for use of two different probes. I like the application to pots though.

Now we will have a whole new topic of diy knob manufacture!

[quote author="Crusty2"]An old trick to use the standard log pot is to put your number scale on the skirt of the knob, and your pointer mark on the faceplate. The numbers still go up, but you're actually turning the pot backwards.[/quote]

That works if the numbering starts with 0 (or 1) on the left end of the scale. Unfortunately, most numbered knobs sold have the numbering start at the right end of the scale. However, you can always make your own knobs. I recommend burly elm finished with C37.

OR

These folks are selling dial plates with the right scale.
http://www.electro-nc.com/rotaryus/knob.pdf
These plates could be turned into skirts by glueing a knob on top of them.

> Check out RG Keens page

The tricks at the bottom work, sort-of, for potentiometers, 3-terminal voltage dividers.

Around here, when someone says "reverse log pot", what they usually want is a rheostat, a 2-terminal device (though generally we use a 3-terminal "pot"). We use these for mike gain control and filter frequency controls. These applications can NOT "reverse log" with a loaded pot.

Latest posts

Back