Re-capping a Gates Sta-Level

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradb

Hey everyone,

I'm recapping a Gates Sta-Level and I'm rounding up some parts now. Any preferences or advice on what to get?

I'm going with Sprague Orange Drops (400V) for the 0.02uF to 1uF caps. The question is on caps C7a, C7b and C7c... 15uF, 15uF and 10uF respectively. the values are too large for a reasonable poly cap, any preferences on an electrolytic or tantulum? what should I go for?

Also the PSU/pi network caps are 20uF... should I increase these values?

Thank you!

does it have a tube rectifier? then be carefull about increasing values, keep the first one at original spec and increase whatever comes after the choke

and use 450V caps, just in case that you turn it on without the tubes in the signalpath (which will make the B+ rise quite a bit)

mmm.. I just recaped and moded the sidechain in my STA-level and Turned it on for the first time today. All is OK, but B+ is way low, like 238v instead of 300v...

Could it be the old rectifier tube is weak?

Well, without the rectifier tube, I´m getting 651vAC!!!! That´s high!

With the rectifier tube, I´m getting 604vAC

after the rectifier, I´m getting just 278v (should be 332) and after the choke only 231v (should be 300)...

Maybe it´s just weak???

yes, but that's 2x302VAC, not 604VAC, which is fine i guess. the 5Y3 should drop some 40-50VDC, the lower DC voltages could be due to to the fact it's drawing to much current, what's the DCR of the choke?

OK, I´ve tested the STA-level yesterday and it´s just great! The release time mod with MBB switches works like a charm. I think the unit sounds really cool overall. I´ve taken the 20dB input pad out and I´m using it with tube and dynamic mics feeding the input transformer directly. No need for a mic pre for most of the wrk I´m doing with a 60dB gain compressor. It sounds good and FAT (I hate saying this, but that´s how it sounds, specially with 15dB+ compression... it doesn´t distorts bad at all). It smashes up to 40dB with good sound and no pops!!! Ha!

Well, I can´t help to say that I would really want to mod it further. An attack sicth would be great at this point, to make it even more usefull!

I´m thinking substituting the 56k (R35) for a 47k pot + 10k resistor in series would do the trick for a wide enought attack control? am I right? What do you think. Would it compromisse the staility of this circuit? I think faster attack is a must for using those broadcast compressors in the music recording studio.

Here is the thing again:

http://www.waltzingbear.com/Schematics/Gates/Sta_Level.htm

rafafredd:

this is what NYD suggested I do... check it out you... might be into it.

Try this: replace R32 with a 20K linear pot, with the low side going to ground via a 4.2K resistor and the wiper going to R33/R34. This will allow you to vary the reverse-bias on the 6AL5 rectifier and move your compression threshold up and down.

ARRGHH! Sorry guys. Two computers crashed, four ethernet adapters, a HUB, a cable modem, a interphone system, the electric car-gate with remote-control (I don´t have a clue how do you call it in English) burned, with motor burned, house-alarm-system burned, electronic gate burned, etc.. etc... etc...

Argh. A short circuit in the wiring comming from the streets... I hope I can make them pay for it.

Anyway, about the gates, yes, I´m using the output attenuator, and I think it sucks all the way! I´ll remove it and make a decent one with a 3x6 or something switch...

Also, what do you think about a 100k in series with a very low resistance, like 100R in place of the attack 56k resistor for a wider range of attack times? Could it just be asking for trouble? I would love to make this thing FAST!

I know this is an older post but I need some help.

I've got a vintage Gates STA-level and love it!  The only problem is that when I switch from Single to Double mode, the audio cuts out every couple of seconds. I think it has to do with caps.  Can anyone tell me which caps I should re cap and what parts I need and where I can find them?  Thanks!

Latest posts

Back