Front Panel Ergonomics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Would any kind sould please peruse my attempt at a new front panel for a Calrec

<EDIT - see threads for new versions>

This is for my half width rack 2RU boxes mounted vertically.

First problem I saw on it is I should reverse the HPF and LPF pushbuttons.

My question has more to do with the ergonomics..
I am right handed
Should the EQ frequency be on the right of the "volume" or on the left of the "volume"?

I can make both of these dials the same size (I have Sifam knobs in 15mm, 21mm and 29mm sizes) - but I am drifting towards making one of these smaller or bigger
Should the "volume" pot be the smaller? (as in the diagram)

I know it is down to personal taster - but I have never used a side by side configuration before - I am just after some advice

BTW - this is going to be a black/white laminate being engraved from a FPD file by our new best friend (the synth guy who we found earlier in the week)
The Q buttons and LPF/HPF/EQ in are all going to be illuminated pushbuttons. (haven;t yet decided on their colours yet)

Hey Si,

That synth guy you mentioned - did you get any prices etc? I remember trying to get some info a while back but communications was null n void - I'm sure its the same dood...

Cheers,

D

[quote author="Neeno"]What kinda illuminated pushbuttons are you planning to use ?[/quote]
EAO series 19 illuminated latching switches (small squares heads)
On the discounted/cheap stuff from Canford (I have them already)

They are single pole but I have built a load of relay boards..
(the wiring is a f***g nightmare)
The relays and the lights are both rated at 24v
The lights are the T1 size thingies..
(That is why I built this PSU...
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=9609&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=psu
)

Hey Kruz,

Yup, thats the fella!

Prices tho...? No matter, i'll try email again - lets get back to him theres topic :)

Ta

since you are right handed, I´d put the larger knobs to the left side so they are not in way that much. shifting the freq knobs towards bottom a little also helps to get em out of the way when turning cut/boost.
to my taste the freq knob is cool on right side since this is knob i spend most of the time with.

a good idea is to print out the layout and put the knobs on it to get a "hands on" feeling

Sorry - that was just a quick first go
Now I have spent my lunch doing an update...

For your next perusal a new version

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10069&pos=-549

Latest posts

Back