Pots for the master section of a small console.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luny Tune

I have a small console, a Soundtracs MIDI PC 24, and since I've started this DIY thing I'm going to do some needed repairs on the console myself. Hey, I built a GSSL! I'm Superman!! No prob...! Well, it'll be simple stuff anyway...:grin:

A few panpots, the Main volume and headphone pots need to be replaced. Now, I'm going to replace the panpots with pots of the same make and model so that it's the same on all channels, but the Main volume and headphones pots could easily be of another brand and I could easily drill a new hole to place at least the main volume more convenient than it is now 3/4 up on the master section. Therefore size doesn't matter.
My question is What brand should I look for? The ALPS faders that was sitting as the Master faders have already been replaced by P+G faders so I'm good there. I'd just like to replace these two pots with the best suitable pots I can find. The pots that are in there now are Omeg pots. Can I do better than with Omeg ones?

Or a stepped attenuator - "Aage Nielsens Eftf." in Copenhagen sells (not inexpensive) 24-pole stereo attenuators as diy-kits (or pre-assembled). You probably can't get better than that..

Jakob E.

DARN IT! There's jjjuuuuust not enough room to place the stepped attenuator in a convenient spot.:sad:
Apart from being such good quality it would have brought some classy feel to working the console. But it being a rather large switch turned out to be a bit of a problem.

I think I'll have to settle for just replacing the Omeg pots that are in need of that. After all it IS "just" a volume pot, so it's not that important.
Is anyone familiar with Omeg? Is that an ok brand?
It's 10k log double/stereo pots of the P16 type (Conductive plastic) that are in there now. Would anyone suggest replacing them with another brand/type?

I found the Danish distributor of Omeg stuff so it won't be aproblem to just replacing with the original kind.

The Alps pots are good also. But the good types (RK27 etc.) are quite big, so there may not be enough room for them.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Yes, I was thinking about the ALPS pots as I thought (as in "I don't really know":wink:) they're probably shoulder to shoulder with Omeg in quality. The console is fitted with ALPS faders all over. Well, except for the two P+G faders in the master section that is...

No, they can't be too big. The Omegs are 16.9 mm cans with a 4mm shaft and the two sets of pins 10mm wide and 10mm apart. I suspect the selection to choose from is limited. I think I'll stick with a simple replacement. I found the Omeg distributor in Denmark, so...

I have given myself a different mission on the console though. I got it from someone who got it from a studio in which smoking was allowed. (They were either rich or stupid over there!:sad:) Therefore I've had to take apart the P+G faders and clean them thoroughly with Isopropylalcohol. They were noisy and I could easily tell they were sprayed with contact cleaning spray. However, they're back to how they should work now, but now I want the last thing fixed. L and R are not even! But there aren't any trimpots for them.

If I make a simple schematic of one fader and it's connections will it then be possible for someone to fill in the blank, namely add a trimpot to that schematic?
Then I'll figure out a way to physically put it in the master section.

Back