Pot orientation on schematics.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

For whatever reason I seem to be constitutionally incapable of determing pot orientation from a schematic. Does the side with the arrow pointing into it represent the front of the pot or the back? I am tired of rewiring pots & would like to have a good rule of thumb that I can print out & post above my work table.

Thanks
Tom

> incapable of determing pot orientation from a schematic.

Most schematics do NOT show orientation.

> Does the side with the arrow pointing into it represent the front of the pot or the back?

Neither.

The wire with the arrow is the wiper, normally the center pin (but there are exceptions).

But the standard symbol does NOT show which end is which.

Some draftsmen show a second arrow, perpendicular to the wiper arrow. This usually points to the "top", the end that the wiper hits when you "turn the knob all the way up".

tom-

Lately Ive been going with the opposite orientation of what my gut tells me is the right way. Saves me that step of having to rewire them in the right way or justify to myself that "oh no, that really is cooler having the pot go backwards like that..."

dave

what about 'CW'

does this mean the side with CW indicates which teminal the wiper contacts at full clockwise rotation?

Yes. CW = Clockwise. Occasionally you get a marking for "CCW", which means counterclockwise... this confuses my feeble British mind, because I still think of "Anticlockwise... :roll:

I'll catch up one day! :wink:

Keith

Latest posts

Back