Guitar amp tube converter sockets??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebartlet

I need to quiet down my guitar amp without sacrificing tone. I have heard that "tube converter sockets" exist for this purpose, for cannot find much info, except for a commercially made 6L6 to 6BQ5 adapter (Still too loud). I would like something to get me down into the 1/2 watt range using a single tube with an adaptor. The amp currently uses a single 6L6 for the output. Any suggestions??

[quote author="kungfugeek"]Somethign like this? http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/yellow_jacket.htm[/quote]

Yes, sort of, but I would like to go even lower in power.

I found "The blackjack triode converter" on the amptone site,

...You can replace a power tube by a very low wattage preamp tube:
The Triode Convertor enables you to replace a power tube, such as the EL34 (6CA7), 6L6 (5881), or 6V6 [what about EL84?], with a double-triode preamp tube, such as the 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 12BH7, or 12BZ7, to bring down the wattage of your amp to 2 watts. This changes EL34, 6L6, and 6V6 tubes to a triode Class-A sound...

But evidently, they didn't sell well and are no longer avaliable :sad:

That sounds pretty cool, i'd like to try that in my Reverned Hellhound. sounds great, but it's too damn loud for my home studio.

> get me down into the 1/2 watt range using a single tube with an adaptor. The amp currently uses a single 6L6

If you don't mind cutting the amp: put about 10K or 20K 10Watt resistor in series with the power supply, or 100K 2W in series with G2 feed (G2 still needs a bypass cap).

Latest posts

Back