Peavey Mod...Very nice pre.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird

I'll try to make this short...

A producer friend of mine had purchased a mic pre kit from some guy named Pat M, and had his assistant try to put it together.

I guess not much came with the kit as far as actual step by step directions, or parts.

It was a millennia 990 opamp and lundahl transformer.

So anyhow, The assistant gave up on it and I ended up putting together.

I compared it to a bunch of my mic pres and it sounded REALLY good. Very open and present.

THE POINT:

I compared it to a Peavey TMP I worked over with the help of Bo Hanson (sp?) when we were over at the old forum.
I had not used the Peavey in a while and kind of forgot about it.
To my suprise it sounded every bit as good as the Millennia 990. It had more character being tube and all, but had just as much presence and high end air.
I was VERY impressed and wanted to share the circuit with you all.

This is the last picture I could find of it. This is compleatly different from the original schematic. It did not use a 12AU7 originally. Stock transformers were used:

peavey2.gif

small pic coutesy of Mikkel....

I might have changed The circuit a bit...I don't think I used the input atten.
Just a 100K to ground.

Enjoy! and let me know if this picture is too big.....

Ian

Hmm..

I believe that kit would be from a Mr. Morford in Canada. I understand that CJ has some beef with him from a thread over at the other place?

Nice schemo, btw, interesting. Your pic is large, but the resolution is so bad, several values are unreadable to me...?

HTH!
Charlie

[quote author="BradAvenson"]I think the lundahl in pat's kit was a LL1636.[/quote]I think so too. I was surprised he used such a small input transformer - the LL1636 is only rated at +2dB. Maybe it sounds "tubey? because it saturates easier.

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"] I understand that CJ has some beef with him from a thread over at the other place?[/quote]

:green:

I think you will find that a few people have had a beef with insert name here a lot longer than that thread. In fact we had a few threads that ... well ..... never mind.

c'mon guys
don't let me down
I want to see a reaction of old

I can laugh about this stuff now :twisted:

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Your pic is large, but the resolution is so bad, several values are unreadable to me...?[/quote]
Well it looks fine here at home (I was at work when I first saw this.) But it still too big for normal margins. Check the sticky for the "Standard" size. :thumb:

Looks like an interesting ckt. Do you have the original? I think it would be interesting to see that too... Thanks for sharing!

Peace!
Charlie

Hey Charlie,

No, I don't have the original ckt. I also messed up my windows paint program somehow. I'm using another demo that I don't know very well.....

The past consensus seems to be that throwing some random parts in a box and gouging, er, that's charging, more than twice the cost of the parts does not necessarily make a kit. You know what, if anyone's interested in Pat's kit, just watch the Project 2/API 312 threads, and you'll learn the technical considerations and figure out how to throw it all together for cheaper, and also have a forum to help if any issues arise.

Bear

The past consensus seems to be that throwing some random parts in a box and gouging, er, that's charging, more than twice the cost of the parts does not necessarily make a kit.

The guy says on his page that the input transformer was specially designed by Lundahl, with his help, for his mic pre kit and that this is not an off-the-shelf Lundahl. Maybe we could ask mr. Per about that...

I don´t think this 500 USD kit would be any better that a Lundahl input transformer followed by a forssell 993 opamp.

I like that circuit looks alot like a Mxxxxxx. I like the use of a simple CF.

The first gain stage is alot like old phono preamps done with tube and solid state HINT HINT.

I wonder how a bipolar power device would work as an EF instead of the tube CF??????

The dynaco PAT 3 tube and PAT 4 transistor used a circuit design like that.

That two transistor gain stage with an added EF might be fun for a solid state amp. Transistors don't have to sound harsh if used correctly.

Maybe a 48 volt supply for the circuit and phantom?? 2n4401 etc run at a few ma so there is enough current for the feedback network and the noise goes down and the Hfe levels off. Good input and output iron . Maybe I draw this up.

PRR any insight to any problems?

Gus,

I did put phantom power in. The TMP had 24v phantom and I installed a proper 48v supply.

Transistors sound interesting. I have yet to see a hybrid circuit around here.

But I'm telling you, this thing sound so good as it is...

Bluebird

I was thinking a " new" design.

The schematic looks like it sounds good. I like circuits that give the most with the least amout of parts. I think that mod of the P is great.

I was just thinking out loud about a solid state circuit kind of like that.

Would one need two heater supplies for this thing? I mean, one floating for the cathode follower and another one for the 12ax7?

Don't know Rafa, I don't seem to have any problems with noise or hum.

Oh Yea I just forgot the heaters are DC.

Gus,
I smell what your steppin in. :green:

Moreford! WHO MENTIONED THAT BASTARD!
Thats it. I'm back on the bottle.
Thanks a lot.
DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!DAMN HIM!
HE SUCKS!HE SUCKS!HE SUCKS!HE SUCKS!HE SUCKS!HE SUCKS!HE SUCKS!

HE SUCKS!

HE SUCKS!
HE SUCKS!
HE SUCKS!

HE SUCKS!
HE SUCKS!
HE SUCKS!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ah, c'mon cj - stop holding back and tell us how you really feel. :green:

(Sorry... couldn't resist! :razz: )

Here, have a few ROOT beers. Always helps me simmer down.

:sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam:

Better yet, slap on a Big Mon LP and play along with the hacksaw.

Back