SSL 9K Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand,

is there a project dedicated to a front panel? I see some post that speaks about a Jensen A016 standard preamp input circuitry. It's this one or another one?

Thanks a lot for all the info.

Ricardus said:
The SSL 9K pre doesn't have those 4 switches? Mine sure do.

Then your SSL9K project is not the same project as the one this thread relates to.

Since in this SSL 9K project there's no +48, Phase, Pad, and High Pass

spoontex said:
I understand,

is there a project dedicated to a front panel? I see some post that speaks about a Jensen A016 standard preamp input circuitry. It's this one or another one?

Thanks a lot for all the info.

I really don't know what you're asking, it's confusing.

If you're looking for an input board with PAD, POLARITY and 48V, search google for JLM Go between, that's what most people used

If you're looking for a front panel, you should search here in the forum, maybe in the white market also, since there were people selling FP for this project

You're a new member,  please always read the project thread and search before posting.
Your questions are already replied in this thread a multitude of times.
So please read the thread first, that's the best advice I can give you for when you start a project. You will learn a lot.

________

Forum Rules:

6. Use the search function (thoroughly) before posting.  It is quite possible your question may have already been answered by knowledgeable members that have been generous with their time.  A tremendous wealth of knowledge is actively updated and compiled in the "Meta" threads--take advantage of them.

4. You will find that the members of this community are incredibly courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the Flame-war mentality at another forum.  Personal attacks as well as general hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, etc...) will not be tolerated.

You are right, and sorry.

English is not my language, so I know sometimes I can't explain right... Sorry for that

Yes, I'm looking for an input board. Pad, 48V and polarity. I will search the JLM.

Yes, I read some threads. But sometimes there is a lot of information and it's normal that I have some questions.

Thanks for the information!!

spoontex said:
Yes, I read some threads. But sometimes there is a lot of information and it's normal that I have some questions.

No worries for the questions, me and other members can help you out on that.
But please read this thread first, because then you will have a better knowledge about this particular project.

This is the JLM Go between, it was the most used input pcb for PAD, POL REV and 48V that people used in this project,
it was what I used in the 8 units I built:

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/go-between-kit.html?display_tax_prices=1

You can also do it with switches and resistors without a pcb but it's more work involved

Whoops said:
This is the JLM Go between, it was the most used input pcb for PAD, POL REV and 48V that people used in this project,
it was what I used in the 8 units I built:

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/go-between-kit.html?display_tax_prices=1

Yes,

I bought two of them, and two of this:

https://jlmaudio.com/shop/vu-buffer-peak-led-kit.html?display_tax_prices=0

Thanks for the moment.

Hi!

I was checking the 9k preamp schematic, (rev 1.0 5/15/2003), and noticed that both IC29 and IC22 (5534'S  of the first gain stage), share a single 100nf cap as rail decoupling cap!!.  For me this is strange. Normally you place at least one 100nf between rails for EACH opamp...but here... there is only one for two opamps!!. Strange materials economy...!! ???...  ¿Is there a reason for this decoupling scheme?  ¿Isn't it better practice to give each opamp its own decoupling cap?. .

Thank you for your advise!!
Jay x

Hello,

is this a good candidate for the power transformer?

https://www.mouser.es/ProductDetail/546-229B20

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/229B20.pdf

Thanks.

spoontex said:
is this a good candidate for the power transformer?

No. It has PCB pins and it has low power.

But this is a good candidate:

https://pt.farnell.com/multicomp/vtx-146-030-118/transformer-30va-2x-18v/dp/1675053?st=toroidal%20transformer

index.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.57.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.57.56 PM.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 188
Whoops said:
No. It has PCB pins and it has low power.

But this is a good candidate:

https://pt.farnell.com/multicomp/vtx-146-030-118/transformer-30va-2x-18v/dp/1675053?st=toroidal%20transformer

index.php

Thanks!!

How important is the use of shield cable for inputs and outputs on this preamp?

Because I see some photos with standard wire and others with shielded cable.

It's really necessary?

Thanks.

spoontex said:

Because I see some photos with standard wire and others with shielded cable.

It's really necessary?

Thanks.

Can't hurt. I usually run Belden 8451 inside projects like this, but I think I am going to look for something a little more flexible. A similar style wire maybe from Mogami.

Ricardus said:
Can't hurt. I usually run Belden 8451 inside projects like this, but I think I am going to look for something a little more flexible. A similar style wire maybe from Mogami.

Thanks!

I have a lot of problems for finding the 2,2k dual gang rev pot. I contact with Audio Maintenance with no luck, I'm still waiting a response from him.

And I prefer a pot than a resistor rotary switching, that was mentioned in this post.

Anyone can help me with the potentiometer?

spoontex said:
Thanks!

I have a lot of problems for finding the 2,2k dual gang rev pot. I contact with Audio Maintenance with no luck, I'm still waiting a response from him.

And I prefer a pot than a resistor rotary switching, that was mentioned in this post.

His part number is OM-01-073

He had some in stock when I ordered some a few months ago.

Just go to the web site and try an order.

spoontex said:

I always use shielded cable for inputs and outputs in all the gear I build, some people dont have thin shielded cable around and use standard wires. It's a balanced input so the shield might not be needed but It doesnt hurt also.

On the output the balancing circuit is on a separate pcb, I would use shielded for shure between the Mic Pre PCB and the Balancing PCB.

spoontex said:

Audio Maintenance one and only. Contact them again

Besides that post a Wanted post in the black market for those pots, I'm sure some fellow members bought a few more from audio maintenance than they used and have them in a drawer.
I might still have some but I'm not going to the workshop soon.

I roughly estimate that 60% to 70% of the pcbs and parts members buy never get materialized into projects

Latest posts

Back