Another DIY capacitor source.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

Amidst the hysterical $485.00 Audiophool knobs, these guys have some neat looking capacitors and other bits and bobs in the LHS column.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=JAFPIO

Just don't look here:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=VOLUME

The NOS Leclanche Paper-in-oil caps look really cool. I haven't heard of Black Gate though, any comments?

I have not used black gates. I have read the writeups about black gates I could find on the web they don't make sense to me.

Has anyone here used black gates and if so whats the deal?

I can´t believe some PHOOL would buy something like this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RAM&Product_Code=ACT_SIGN_A

Ive used the small black gates in an 1176, sounds cool. Im not so sure I notice a tremendous difference just yet, but its only on my bench, I havent done a real recording with it. I think BG's get their rep though from high voltage tube filtering which Ive never heard so...

dave

[quote author="kubi"]It's all about C37 lacquer...[/quote]

Now I´m horrified. They put this thing on 5532 opamps. Just amazingly funny. :green: :green: :green:

PIO caps aren't to everyone's taste. Some call them warm, some call them mushy. I like them, and at those prices, one can at least experiment with the Jensens. I've only used them for coupling between tube stages, and I prefer them to polyprops I've used (it's hardly a huge difference, though). I've never used them in anything solid state; their comically huge size limits such possibilities.

I've tried black gates as cathode bypass caps, and I really didn't hear a difference compared to Nichions.

For PS filtering, I use LCR cans and Sprague Atoms, and the results sound fine and work trouble free for years; mission accomplished. Ponying up 10x the price for a BG filter cap seems to me like gilding the lily.

[quote author="Gus"]I have not used black gates. I have read the writeups about black gates I could find on the web they don't make sense to me.

Has anyone here used black gates and if so whats the deal?[/quote]

I like BGs for cathode bypass and whenever I need bigger capacitance in smaller package in signal path. In tube PSU I prefer to use big Solen polypropilenes. They are considearably cheaper, but better in this application, for my taste.

>Has anyone here used black gates and if so whats the deal?

(someone please tell me how to quote properly in this forum):?

Yes, I've recently used BGs in a 1272 pre. Gorgeous sound. As a test I also used Panasonic FCs in another 1272 and cheaper Nichicons in a spare 283 card. So far no major obvious differences, excepct the BGs do sound quiet and rich and it's my favorite of the three. Haven't made direct comparisons yet, these are first impressions.

I think BGs make sense for the small cheaper ones if you don't need many and don't mind spending a buck or so per cap. Make some listening tests. What I've heard so far leads me to believe there is some truth to their reputation. For the average studio application you probably don't need them, though. I'm planning to make more tests. The FCs seem pretty good too. I've heard them called "budget black gates."

:wink: :guinness: :sam:

[quote author="rafafredd"]I can´t believe some PHOOL would buy something like this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RAM&Product_Code=ACT_SIGN_A[/quote]

"Unbleached, natural cotton dielectric which achieves unique natural, smooth and dynamic sound"

Oh my fncking gawd!
:shock:

Wow, that's quite possibly the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. I can't believe some idiot would actually pay near $500 for some piece of crap wood knob. I think they would be the "knob" if they did. That's what I call voodoo electronics... :shock: :shock: :shock:

for this price, they should at least include a MASSIVE mumetal magnetic shielding... Something like 10 sheets of mumetal with sheets of copper in-between, like in TAB funkenwerk V76 transformers (Check CJ´s site).

Latest posts

Back