Rack cases: tip of the day

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viitalahde

Some Hammond cases will fit the 19" rack standard perfectly.

For example, the box 1441-32 from 1441 series (http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20.htm) measures 432mm wide, 254mm deep and 76mm high. This means that it's pretty much the size of a 2u case.

At least I would be able to pick up a case like this for 23 ?. Bolt a blank panel in front and you have a sturdy box.

:guinness:

And they're available in aluminium also: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg21.htm

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Some Hammond cases will fit the 19" rack standard perfectly.

For example, the box 1441-32 from 1441 series (http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20.htm) measures 432mm wide, 254mm deep and 76mm high. This means that it's pretty much the size of a 2u case.

At least I would be able to pick up a case like this for 23 €. Bolt a blank panel in front and you have a sturdy box.

:guinness:[/quote]

yup. Then can you buy 3mm aluminum front panels or even 6mm ones and have a really nice 2u case. I've done this once or twice and I am building the Kiiratronics Uberbox into one like this... 6mm panel.

Kiira

Speak to the direct distributors - I have done this myself
They will tell you who has how many in stock.

I have done this with OTHER Hammond cases - in that they told me they retuinrded all of them to the USA and wouldn't reimport them.

They were really helpful.
UK and Europe Distributor

Hammond Electronics Limited
1 Onslow Close
Kingsland Business Park, Basingstoke
Hampshire RG24 8QL
United Kingdom

Tel: 01256 812812
Fax: 01256 332249

e-mail [email protected]

This is a good idea.

Can someone post pictures of their frontpanel attached to the hammond chassis? I'm curious...

Where do you get the front panels?

I actually researched this as well, but figured out that after buying the chassis, the top and the front panel, it's cheaper to go with a Par-Metal box.

Peace,
Al.

This is how I built my LA-2A, but it was an LMB 17"x4"x5" chassis on a regular 1/8" thick 3 space aluminum relay rack panel.

[quote author="tk@halmi"]SHIT COMES WITH NO TOP![/quote]

Did you buy one and forgot to order the top, or did you order the top and they didn't ship it? If you did order the top: how much did the whole thing cost you?

Peace,
Al.

I ordered it and did not realize that the top is sold separately. I was going to put Front Panel Express plates on the face, but without the top it is not economical unless you wanted to make a custom lid for it. The Par-Metal case is a better deal so I am sticking with that next time.

[quote author="tk@halmi"]without the top it is not economical unless you wanted to make a custom lid for it. The Par-Metal case is a better deal[/quote]

(*clears throat*)

[quote author="alk509"]I actually researched this as well, but figured out that after buying the chassis, the top and the front panel, it's cheaper to go with a Par-Metal box.[/quote]

It sucks. The only reason they sell the tops separately is to fool the innocent into thinking they're getting a better deal than they really are. I mean, who the fuck would need a box with no top?! How can you even call that an enclosure?!?!

Peace,
Al.

Back