Profile Output Transformer 4804

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

I've just been told the following by Profile Electronics:

>Dear Siegfried,
>
>Part 4804 is in dispute. In the hands of lawyers. I don't know when we'll be >back in production.
>
>Mike Hall, Manager

Does anyone have any idea what's happened here? The 4804 is the output transformer that can be used with an API 312 mic pre. This doesn't have something to do with trying to stop the clones, does it?

On another note, API will not sell you their 2520 opamp unless you send your old bad ones back. Is this also to try to stop the cloning?

Thanks,
Siegfried

Three people from this forum are doing hard time in Quentin because of bootleg 2503's, so I do not think you will see a clone anytime soon. :razz:

CJ,

I opened my box of 2503s and it exploded in tear gas, as a SWAT team raided my home. After explaining the situation to them, I gave them your address.

Sincerely,
Inmate #1583669

Peace,
Al.

Nice!

Siegfied,

There is a thread about this somewhere. It has been going on for a while. API is claiming the 2503 design is theirs and Profile has no right to sell it to anyone else. Profile is claiming it's theirs and they do have the right. API took legal action and Profile has beeen enjoined by API's lawyers from selling them until the suit is resolved.

It's a real shame.

I think its wierd that api is in a fight over a $5 transformer. Let them have it, there are other alternatives. I mean, those things sound cool, but its not like the missing link of awesome transformers like some other types are. Cinemag makes a replacement in the meantime. The cool thing about the cinemag is that if you get on the phone with them, you can proably order it with any kind of lams you want.

dave

Speaking of API outputs, here's a custom unit I did for Soundguy that features fully balanced and blueprinted primaries, reverse vector oriented secondaries, reluctance magnified flux reactors, polarized B field operators, hysteresis stabilized tempeture inductors, 50 Ni percent tiger striped flux boosters, permeability loss factorization, tensor modified broadband supression, 80 percent Ni corner fringe delimiters, resistance coupled leakage fibulators, and a core bracket that came off an output transformer that was used by Sunshine and the KC Band on their big hit, "I'm your Boogie Man"

You would think that this would be enough, but ...noooooooooooo. He has to have the custom plexi brackets retro-fitted for disaccommodation vectors.

glide_api.jpg

First guy to quote this post gets shot!

:twisted:

[quote author="CJ"]Speaking of API outputs, here's a custom unit I did for Soundguy that features fully balanced and blueprinted primaries, reverse vector oriented secondaries, reluctance magnified flux reactors, polarized B field operators, hysteresis stabilized tempeture inductors, 50 Ni percent tiger striped flux boosters, permeability loss factorization, tensor modified broadband supression, 80 percent Ni corner fringe delimiters, resistance coupled leakage fibulators, and a core bracket that came off an output transformer that was used by Sunshine and the KC Band on their big hit, "I'm your Boogie Man"

You would think that this would be enough, but ...noooooooooooo. He has to have the custom plexi brackets retro-fitted for disaccommodation vectors.

glide_api.jpg

First guy to quote this post gets shot!

:twisted:[/quote]

Shot?

people should have kept their mouths shut

simple solution really
make a Part 4804 G
:green:
put a gap in the core
then API can't say it is theirs ... I don't think the 4804 is theirs anyway but then ... that's the USA fo ya

:roll:
wait a sec
Joe already did that
:cool:

I'm with cj

you buy off the shelf laminations
off the shelf wire
you wind

you've broken a patent

bull shit

there may be a little more to it than that and I am being flippant ... but you get the point.

If it's a patent issue, how long can a transformer design patent last? Seems to me that 2503/4804 has been on the block for some years.

[quote author="soundguy"]...Cinemag makes a replacement in the meantime...[/quote]See, that's the part I don't get. If Cinemag can make a replacement, why can't Profile?? :?

Anyway, I second Dave - just get the Cinemag. If we did a 100 qty. group buy like we did the profiles, it's not really that much more $. I called them the other day and spoke with Tom about this very thing. They do sell them with a variety of lams, depending on the sound you are after. He also told me that a gapped version was in the works for that other famous preamp design. :wink:

[quote author="Flatpicker"][quote author="soundguy"]...Cinemag makes a replacement in the meantime...[/quote]See, that's the part I don't get. If Cinemag can make a replacement, why can't Profile?? :?[/quote]

I was under the impression that profile was the original oem for api but wwhatever.

CJ, now that you gave away all the secrets to my transformer Im taking you to court so please cease all transformer production until my lawyers are done with you.

heh.

good thing nobody can remember who invented the wheel or the world would be in a big mess.

api just should have potted their stupid transformer then they could just lie to the customers and so OH NO, its not THAT transformer, ours is SPECIAL.

dave

look out
:shock:
blatant , UN-ashamed plug for Joe coming up

JLM Audio
JLM111DC Output transformer.

JLM%20output.jpg

Can be used for Neve LO1166 or API 2503 type DIY projects. The transformer is DC gapped and has 3 identical 150ohm windings that are trifilar wound. So can use as 1:1:1 or 1:2 or 2:1 applications. It is physically the same size as the LO1166 except the the top terminal plate is narrower so it will fit on its side in 1 unit high racks which have a 38mm internal height.

:green:
run away, run away

Very nice!

And no, I will never be a commercial transformer guy. I did that for ten years and I am burned out on xfmr production runs. Just a few here and there for frineds and enemies. It's real cute to make your own transformer or two, but after that, it's just like any other job.

I have always wondered if Profile found out that they were losing money on the API, and thus.......

I mean I have built a few, and it is hard to imagine making a profit at 15 smacks a copy. Lams, quad twisted wire, tape, varnish, bobbins, solder, hookup wire, air dry epoxy, copper foil, brackets, 8 leads to hookup, 50 lams to lace up. labor for winding, hookup, processing, packaging, invoicing, electricity for the winding machine, dryout oven and vacuum pumps, rent, medical plans, engineers and secretaries, no, Profile did not become millionaires becuase of us DIY'ers, I can attest to that.

Very intersting to call Pro file
1 week before the AES show.
Then at the AES show walk up to AP I
and ask them directly about the issue.
A PI says they never sued just they had their lawers call.
Pro file says it is being solved. Well I got news for you.
They are both bending the truth.
Damn simple
send pro file or another vendor the diagrams on how to make a
124 turn 30 awg quad twistite wire.
Assign it any other than the numbers in question.
And everyone is happy.

If you sweet talk the Xformer vendor
he may even drop ship the transformers to each persons house.
This is an easy one to skin.

Good news!

I spoke with Alan over at Profile earlier this week, and they've settled differences with api.....

The 4804 output (aka 'api 2503') is available again!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Just thought some of you might be interested in knowing this.

Peace,

JC

Latest posts

Back