Rode and MXL Mic Mod Pix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Some more of gus's modified mics, showing how he deals with replacement of surface mount capacitors in the rode.

MXL...
NadyMod1.JPG

Rode before and after....
RodeMod1.JPG

RodeMod2.JPG

RodeMod3.JPG

I must have labeled the one pic wrong. The top one is a MXL2003 with caps changed and 2 removed. Two of the >.22uf cap s are monted between the boards.

[quote author="Gus"]The top one is a MXL2003 with caps changed and 2 removed...[/quote]Well, at least it got posted. Seems like I was supposed to do that, but we got slammed at work a week ago I've practically lived there since then, running off way less sleep than I'm used to. :sad:

Looks like there's finally light at the end of the tunnel, though!

(Gus, I'll get in touch sometime before Thursday)

It would be great if you could add recordings with the mics before and after the mods and if you could describe exactly what kinds of modifications and why you made them?

find the the microphone meta thread. In one of the threads Tim has before and after MP3s of the MXL2003.

Here's the thread in question:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=995

EDIT: Wow, that mod really does make a big difference, even on these cheap-ass computer speakers I have here.

I´m not saying that the mod does not make a difference, but I´d say I highly doubt that the recording of the before, and after mod..did undertake serious considerations..on mic pos...carefully gain matching (within 0.1db), distance from mic to singer..popfilter placement..angles..and so forth....and this gentlemen migh have a much more inpact on what you´re hearing as differences.. I mean the after mod recording is louder as the before mod...and that alone will 99% of the times leave a listener to choose the louder as the "best sounding"..

It takes an amazing amount of considerations to detail..carefully setups etc..to make an serious A/B test..

I`m sorry if I come across as sounding too doubtfull..All I would like to stress out is...be carefull with what you both hear and see..I´m a very firm beliver in double blind testing..that has been set up correct..everything else ..leaves to much to be..hmm ooh yes I hear what I know, or see..*S*

Kind regards

Peter

Nice work!

There have been a couple topics on modifying Rode mics. As far as the NTK goes it seems there is not alot you can do short of getting a NOS tube, to make it sound any better. This being that the capsule is only as good as it is and the circuitry is designed well for that capsule

My question:
would it be possible to buy a nice capsule like whats being used for the G7 and have it work with the existing NTK circuitry? Or does each capsule need special circuitry?

I see your point peter. The second track is really louder. Maybe it was recorded with different gain settings, what would, on most mic preamps, produce a different tone.

But, the second track, throught my headphones, is really more open on the high end, has a more natural space sensation and has more air. But maybe the recordings wasn´t meant as an AB test at the time they were made. ???

Bluebird

I have not been in the NTK, but from the specs it sounds like it is a charge amp setup. I would guess the tube does not matter alot except for noise. Frame grid tubes like the 6dj8 are not the best for simple tube microphone circuits. If I understand correctly it has to do with how close the cathode is to the grid and the electron cloud size. With most tube microphone circuits we are not using tubes as they are designed.

If I had a NTK I would rewire it for a 12at7 or 12ay7 just change the heater connection. I would then check the caps and upgrade if possable. The MXL mod was a simple cap upgrade for the most part.

Do you have a NTK can you take a picture of the both sides of the board. we can go from there.

About the MP3s it is hard to do a good test with microphones. If you read my posts I often use the word seems because I know one can fool ones self.

I sent a set of caps to Tim as a type of control and did not tell him what to expect. I think the mids and highs sound more real. Tim did the mod and told me the same thing. Something we both noted is the mid grit of the stock ceramics casn make the microphone sometime sound like it has more lows but the mids and highs can sound not so good to my ear/brain.

I post what I do hoping others will try the mods/upgrades and give feedback.

[quote author="Peter Simonsen"]?but I´d say I highly doubt that the recording of the before, and after mod..did undertake serious considerations?[/quote]I tries my best, but I ain?t no pro. :wink:

..on mic pos...
I never moved the stand/shockmount/popfilter from it?s original position.

carefully gain matching (within 0.1db),
I used the preamps on my Aardvark Q10 which only adjust in 0.5dB increments. The setting was the same each time.

distance from mic to singer
I measured 6? from diaphragm?s center to the singer?s teeth and eyeballed the perpendicular angles to the capsule.

I mean the after mod recording is louder as the before mod...
The mic became a little more sensitive after the mod ? those caps really do open it up. If you normalize both tracks, the modified one still sounds better.

and that alone will 99% of the times leave a listener to choose the louder as the "best sounding"..It takes an amazing amount of considerations to detail..carefully setups etc..to make an serious A/B test? I´m a very firm beliver in double blind testing..that has been set up correct..everything else ..leaves to much to be..hmm ooh yes I hear what I know, or see..*S*?All I would like to stress out is...be carefull with what you both hear and see..
Agreed! All are extremely valid points!

I`m sorry if I come across as sounding too doubtfull..
Not at all! If it wasn?t for comments like this, I?d never learn a thing. I just wish I?d had time to do more testing on stuff like this.

I?d like to add that I tested it on other sources besides the one here but the results were the same. It was the ?openness? that floored me! Anyway glad you guys found this useful.

Hi everyone. Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm not seeing any other reference to the Rode NT1000. Gus, or anyone else privy, may I please have the values (or even part #s?) for those caps you've upgraded? I'm still deciding if I want to deal with the surface-mount hell under there...but having a/b -ed my Rode with a tlm103, I sure wish I could capture a little more "air"....

Latest posts

Back