G1176 Gain Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

I got the information I need to mod the G1176 for higher gain, but I'm asking (in your opinion), if it's a necessary mod. I read that Gyraf's design has about 6dB less gain than the original, but does it, in general terms, not have enough gain for certain applications. For those of you that didn't do the mod, do you find your unit to not have enough gain? Are there any other advantages/disadvantages for either option?

Hi Greg,

When I did the proto for the G1176, I made it like this because I feel no need for the very high gains that are available in the originals. Also this altered design allows for considerably less output noise than on the original.

Dean P. has posted good instructions on how to change back to original gain configuration if you like that. It's all about reconfiguring the output transformer.

Jakob E.

It's easy to achive +4dB for feeding the a/d-converters.
I think it's more important to have more gain in the input stage for heavy compression of low level input signals. That's why I have used an OEP 1:6,45 as an input transformer.

Hi Greg,

I did the "swedish Chef" gain mod- i.e. restrapping the output transformer to give an extra +6dB of gain. This was because they were feeding an older desk with true 600R inputs, and we needed to get a good level to tape.

The only disadvantage to the +6dB output-stage mod was that it also brought up the noisefloor by +6dB. But some careful re-wiring of the ground system soon sorted that out. I didn't notice any audible effects as far as output-impedance changes and drive capability.

I'd use it "as is" for now, session it a few times, and see what you think. If you're going into a console with a good line-in gain trim, you probably wouldn't need the extra gain. But if you're directly feeding the input of an analog tape deck, you may need a bit more "grunt"!

Mark

Thanks guys. I'll be using it to feed both the tape input on a desk as well as directly feeding the inputs on an analog tape deck. I think the best thing to do it what Mark suggested. I'll just buld it as is and then decide after that if I want the extra gain mod. I won't be starting for another couple weeks, but I'm just trying get all the info I need.

Latest posts

Back