Anyone care to critique my GSSL front panel design??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emtee

I'm in the early stages of building a dual GSSL in a 2u case. It' s my first project in many years, and I'd appreciate any input from other DIYers on my front panel design.

Am I missing anything? Have I made any obvious stupid errors?? What thickness of panel do you guys normally use? Is 3mm overkill???

I picked the meters up on ebay, I'll be adding Steffans's high pass filter mod that Greg's designed the PCBs for. I'm thinking of giving the front panel power switch a miss because I can't see an elegant solution...

FPD file is at www.noize.plus.com/gssl/dualgssl.fpd

A jpeg is at www.noize.plus.com/gssl/dualgssl.jpg

Looks good to me. The lorlins fit with the ettering, no double/overlayed objects... well done. If you like to use countersinks with black panels you should use silver screws... black ones aren't looking nice.. because there is a small "alu boarder" visible. You could use Ratio x:1 instead of Ratio:1. But I can't find any mistake. 3mm panel is the minimum for me. Good work!
:thumb:

Silver Screws - check
3mm panel - check
Ratio x:1 - check

Thanks, nrg.

Looks like an evening well spent then - This is all getting rather addictive! :cool:

I opened it up in FPD
Red Infill on a black background
I personally wouldn't choose that...

Any detail using the colours at the opposing ends of the spectrum on a black background is a bit too much for the eye to handle.
(the eye can't focus blue as it's "focus point" is behind the retina - consequently with red it's too short...

Thats the reason blue is good for background - we can't focus blue at all..

(could all be bollox - but I once went to a training course on the use of colour in software ergonomics... that's all I seem to remember for it.)

Yep, I ditched the infill, decided it was pants.

Tota; cost is ?55.76 inc tax but not shipping. I personally don't think that's half bad.

Did you go for the white infill or none at all?

After months and months of looking for a solution - I have gone for Schaeffer as well..

I've not ordered yet, I think that on a black panel with the 0.4mm engraving, no infill should be fine.

That's one of the things I hoped maybe other people might have had experience with.

No infill is OK, I once made a blue panel with no infill. At some angles the bare aluminium catches the light and it might be a little difficult to read, but the effect is not bad enough to make me spend some extra $$.

Back