Marinair LO1166 transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of idea:

359es2a.gif

-T

This is a touch pedantic, but a correctly biased 283 board will put around 80mA (+/- ~ 5mA) through the 1066 primary.

If you're not using a 283 to drive the 1066, why use a 1066? Why not try a smaller nickel / iron t/former from the likes of Cinemag? Some of Sowter's silicon / hybrid lam transformers can also handle a fair amount of DC on them (I recently discussed this with the ever-helpful Brian Sowter).

Anyway, I'm playing Devil's Advocate somewhat - I await with interest your results on the 1066 circuit - could be interesting. A bonus being that modern recreations of the 1066 are pretty affordable (Colin @ Audio Maintenance).

Justin

Oh yeah - one thing to note: a correctly set-up 283 + 1066 doesn't actually measure *that* high in THD (well, by olde-worlde standards anyway). Considering it's designed to sustain a high amount of DC, if you 'synthesise' a current source to put 80mA across the primary, do you really reckon the effect will be that dramatic?

Thanks Justin, fair point about the current. Thanks for letting me know!

I have a few here to try and a few ideas, namely starting by looking at smaller cores to get a more noticeable effect, however like you say 1166s can be had very cheaply. I had some from Colin and a few other Carnhill types, can't argue with the sub 20quid pricing for a cketchy test!

You are corrrect, I am not expecting a massive change, but I thought it would be an interesting experiment, I am more than half expecting to discard the attempt and move on to another plan.

Which Sowter models are you referring to?

Cheers Tom

http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/SOWTER_TRANSFORMERS_PRO_VINTAGE_TRANSFORMERS_5.html#a40

Sowter make LL1066 replacements. Although they're smaller in physical size (their main selling point I suspect - getting Carhills into a 1u rack is awkward) I don't know how their saturation characteristic differs.

Also have a look at the 8403 - it's got a hybrid silicon core which doesn't magnetise permanently in the same way a mu core does. Having said that, Brian Sowter's easily contactable, so I'd pick his brains before trying anything (I don't know exactly how much DC the Si core units can handle; I know they can handle *some*).

Justin

Thanks Justin.

I hadn't considered the 8403 with its core type.

My first idea was to contact Sowter, but thought I'd try and prove the concept with the Carnhill I have here first.

I may actually get a custom Sowter which is smaller and more easy to saturate.

Once I know where I'm going I will call them up.

Cheers Tom

Back