DBX 2150A/2252

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poomka

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy the following non used DBXs components

DBX 2150A (VCA) : 13$
DBX 2252 (RMS Detector) : 12$

I have the project to realise a G4000, I understood I can use DBX 2150A, could anyone could confirm ?
Is the price reasonable ?

Did anyone knows gears using DBX 2252 ?

Thanks for answers.

Could someone help me ?
Because I'm a total newbie, I prefer having a confirmation from one of the Pro guy in this place before ordering...
Thanks.

The SSL comp does require three 2150's or suitable replacement...

FWIW -- Check out the Black Market forum. Dr. Foster has THAT 2181's/2180's available... These chips are supposed to be higher spec versions of the DBX 2150 (DBX actually sold off their chipmaking division to THAT Corporation). I bought three 2180's for $9 a piece -- cheaper than the ones you listed, and probably a better quality VCA... They have the same pin-outs as the 2150, and with the 2180 you won't need the distortion trimmers (they are pre-trimmed from the factory...)

Here is an excerpt from THAT's website regarding the 2150's (which they, not DBX, now exclusively manufacture):

"This is the original audio technology for IC voltage controlled amplifiers designed under THAT President Les Tyler's supervision while he was the chief engineer at dbx, Inc. It offers good performance, but isn't quite up to the new standard set by Gary Hebert's 2180 and 2181 ICs. "

Thanks for your answer,

The chips I'm talking about are some originals DBX ones, made before DBX sold the dpt to THAT, a shop near to my home still got a few to sell.

I thought, sometimes a less technically good component could have more "sound signature" than the evolutions. I like the non transparency of the original SSL unit, I'm wondering if I use better components, is the unit will kept his sonic characteristics ?

Thanks again.

The later versions sounds a bit better, as the imprint the early versions made on the sound was somewhat undesireable. So for me at least, there would be no reason for paying "vintage" prices for the old model.

Also, the SSL originally used the better 202 vca for the stereo compressor - and you will get closer to those specs with a 2181.

You can still buy 2150's from That through ProfusionPLC in England. I don't think those differ from the DBX 2150's, as they're made on the same factory...

Jakob E.

Thanks gyraf for your detailed answer, I've been on the profusionPLC website, but I found 3 types of 2180 (A/B/C) depending of distortion which one should be the better choice for G4000 ?

Also, It seems to be packed by 25 but you could order just 2, I'm a little confused about that, could anyone explain me ?

Just received my PCBs for the G4000, could anyone answer my previous answer so I could order parts and start the work...

Many thanks.

I was supplying LCs with my PCBs.

This is you first unit so don't stress about it.
DBX2150, THAT2150, THAT2180LA,LB,LC throught to the 2181 is all OK

The 2180s are pre-trimmed which means we leave a resistor and/or trim pot out. We can sort that later.

(DBX actually sold off their chipmaking division to THAT Corporation).
... not quite how I would describe it but close enough.

Just receipt my 2180LA from Profusion PLC, unfortunatly the following link
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=342
ssl clone: using 2180 (pre-trimmed) VCAs - about using the pre-trimmed VCA's - possible benefits from altering certain components.
seems to be lost, could someone help me ?

Thanks.

For now without the Meta thread, Search "2180" or "pre-trimmed" this will lead you to some 2180 threads about excluding un-necessary parts.

Back