altec 4722 replacement option?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doty

i have a altec 1566A preamp that is missing the 4722 mic transfomer and am wondering what other mic transformer altec or for that matter anyone other company made/makes that would work as a replacement. any help would be great. if anyone is interested i would also be willing to trade a Triad HS-66 or A67-J for a mic transformer that would work in the altec 1566A.

jason

Get an octal tube base and fudge whatever xfrmr you want into it. Something smaller like a UTC 0-1 Ouncer would work. UTC did make an octal version, P-1, but I think the pinout was different from the Altec.
Jensen will do octal xfrmrs, but by then you may have exceded the cost of the original part (which may be worth it...depending...).

I'll check the garage for a 4722 that I might have, and let you know.

Hi Doty. If convenience or sticking with the original design is a goal, than it's easier to just find an 4722. They have sold for more than they're worth lately though, not a special transformer by any means. Otherwise, any good 150 to grid step-up that you can bolt in would be fine. The 4722 is 150 to 50K. A lower ratio might not be bad since the 1566A has so much gain.

Best,

James

You might talk Bill Y into selling you a DuKane octal input for cheap. Or trade him a Johnson outboard head gasket. Little higher ratio, but a cool bi-filar input.

Latest posts

Back