Problem with one channel of my G9(fixed)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I can't figure this one out...HEREis the schematic. One channel has much higher gain than the other. When tracing the two channels, the signals are the same up till the grid side of R45 (by V2B) after the plate, one signal is much more amplified than the other. I have checked R30, R29, and changed out c12 and c13, but still no change. Also switching the tubes does nothing. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.
Joel

Check the C11 also.
Check also DC voltages on V2A cathode, V2B cathode and anode on both preamps.

Regards,
Milan

Yes: C11, DC voltages, and also transformer wiring.

If it ain't that, it is something so oddball that we won't find it from afar, but you will smack yourself next week or next year when you finally find it.

ARGHHHH!!! :evil: :evil:
I can not figure this out. I have now replaced all caps in that section, checked all resistors in that section (I did check resistance while they were in-circuit) Everything looks good. Voltages are each equal. Switched transformers nothing has helped. I'm got some intuitive questions about the tube socket. We'll see....

Joel

DI jacks - different levels?

unbalanced out: (right before the output transformer, after the 4.7µ/250v)-different levels?

regards, max

This may not help Mbira at all but I was very concerned about the difference in gain between the channels of my G9. Was soon diagnosed to the difference in input voltage when using a CD player as a signal source. G9 worked flawlessly. I did smack myself.

[quote author="PRR"]If it ain't that, it is something so oddball that we won't find it from afar, but you will smack yourself next week or next year when you finally find it.[/quote]

[quote author="ioaudio"]DI jacks - different levels?[/quote]
I'm not sure what this means? The signals are equal up until R45 is feeding into the grid. (They are equal at that point). Basically it seems that grid to plate amplification is much less on one channel than the other at V2B. Regardless of tubes, etc.

unbalanced out: (right before the output transformer, after the 4.7µ/250v)-different levels?

Yup.

Pulling my hair out here. I do have slightly different voltages on each grid and plate-I'll post those in a bit... Switched around tube sockets, rechecked resistor values-is it OK that I'm doing that in the circuit and not pulling out each resistor? The 470u caps, I can't measure that high on my meter, but I have pulled them out and replaced them with others and the same problem....
Even switched front boards (with rotaries) around-no change
Damn...

Joel
:evil:

(1)Check for cold solder joints at the (ff) voltage in at the tube sockets.
(2) I haven't looked in a while, are there polarity issues with the caps in the C11,C12,C13 locations?
(3) Were all you measurements +/- 1%- 5% or less?
(4)Look for any shorts with a 10 power magnifying glass.
(5) Are you using the High pass filter? HP section Caps C8 and C9 may be knocking off signal in different amounts or the HP section may be shorted. (6) Check that all the Lorlins are properly keyed.
(7) Is your output pot resistance Exactly the same or have you swapped them (1) left and (2)right? Both 47k LOG?

Hope this gives you some help or at least rules out basic stuff,

Cheers

sorry for my english...but you answered the question i intented to make :)

from what you explain the problem seems around the srpp out stage. b+ differences up to +/- 10v shouldnt give a significant gain change.
i would suggest to rebuild the srpp stage.

(1)Check for cold solder joints at the (ff) voltage in at the tube sockets.
Did it.
(2) I haven't looked in a while, are there polarity issues with the caps in the C11,C12,C13 locations?
Checked, doublechecked
(3) Were all you measurements +/- 1%- 5% or less?
+-1%
(4)Look for any shorts with a 10 power magnifying glass.
I don't have that, but I checked with my ohm-meter set to the buzzer and checked all around the offending area.
(5) Are you using the High pass filter? HP section Caps C8 and C9 may be knocking off signal in different amounts or the HP section may be shorted. (6) Check that all the Lorlins are properly keyed.
(7) Is your output pot resistance Exactly the same or have you swapped them (1) left and (2)right? Both 47k LOG?
When I switch the whole front board between channels (with all the lorlins, etc) nothing changes...

Thanks for the ideas, though. This sucks :sad:

Still going batty on this...

Here are the voltages that I'm reading. the 'good' tube is giving me these voltages on the pin #'s:
1-83.2v
2-0v
3-1.84v
4-.03v
5-11.59v
6-243.3v
7-83.4v
8-88.9v
9-5.6v

The 'bad' tube is giving me:
1-83.5
2-0v
3-1.71v
4-.02v
5-11.62v
6-235.0v
7-83.4v
8-89.0v
9-5.8v

Does this tell me anything? I have now replaced R45, R28, R29, C12, C11, and C13 (of the bad section)

:evil: :sad: :evil: :sad: :evil: :sad: :evil: :sad:

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green:

Beers all around!!!! I fed a signal straight into the grid and measured off the plate-same problems....Just for the hell of it, I disconnected the front pcb's and tried again. All was good. Didn't I switch out the boards before and found no change? Of course I did! I swear! I looked at one board and there was a short :oops: How I missed it I don't know...It was very late when I did the switch. Bah anyway, all is good now.

Woohoo!

It was where the wires connect from the 10 pin molex onto the front board...

Thanks again guys. This sounds awesome!

Joel

Latest posts

Back