LM1036 Nation Semiconductor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantgetnosleep

Hello,

So I'm looking at building a custom line mixer to interface with my DJ Mixer to integrate a computer, FX, keyboard, etc..., and I ran across a reference to the LM1036, which seems to simplify a lot of things nicely, but I'm wondering if the sound quality is going to be any good.

The LM1036 is a Dual DC Operated Tone/Volume/Balance Circuit.

Does anybody have any experience with this chip? I don't need audiophile quality, but I want it to be good enough to use live without any real noticable degredation. Any other similar chips out there? Or should I just build the components seperately?

Thanks, Andrew

> without any real noticable degredation

What is noticable? I been at gigs where the audience don't notice nothing.

This is a TV-set chip. It does not suck, but is far from top-cleanliness. It is easy to get 0.1%-1% THD, hard to get to 80dB S/N. That's good enough for some gigs, not fer others....

CanaKits ttp://www.canakit.net/ kit # UK146 CK146 seems to be the 1036 with all parts, ready to (build and) go for $22/$27. Probably the quickest way to get your ear on one. If it isn't good enough for a Kronos Quartet live show, you can stick a couple LM383 behind it and use it in the shop.

http://www.canakit.net/Contents/Items/UK146.asp
http://www.canakit.net/Contents/Items/CK146.asp

Thanks for the response. I looked at the link - I like that it's an 'advanced' tone control. I'll probably copy one of the active circuits out of the Rane schematics. A lot of the shows I've DJ'd, the sound is so bad that it's not really going to matter much either way, could have used a tin can and a string. But, if I'm going to go through the trouble of making it, I might as well make it half decent.

Andrew

[quote author="PRR"]What is noticable? I been at gigs where the audience don't notice nothing. [/quote]LOL
:green:
this may be directly proportional to substance abuse

Back