Another vari-mu: Chiswik Reach Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the thump explanation I have increased the attack pot value on my version, it seems to be giving me that slower attack without the switch.Im experimenting with the CCA Electronics LA1D side chain circuit

IV added the 100K pot from the LA1D to give me a kinda ratio/threshold thing seems to do similar job as the daul 47K pot in the chiswick,its hard to tell as I have all the side chain stuff breadboarded across my desk with wires running into BA6A limiter, I might leave out the threshold daul 47K pot from the Chiswick out after further tests, Im also gonna have a switch to choose between Chiswicks variable control and BA6A s Daul release time.

Thanks Olaf, this is all so interesting Im not very good with even basic electronics sometimes, I need to learn much, I think I can understand this tho, I also left out the 15K before the 68K would that give me slightly faster attack ??????
By the way I have now wired in the 6H6 Diode valve from the BA6A instead of 6AL5 and im feeding it from the the BA6As OD3 regulator valve via a 100K pot like in the LA1D

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/CCA_LA1D_Limiter.gif

Should I lower the attack pot back to original 220K then ????
how about 100K pot in place of the 68K thump resistor & the 15K ?????

By the way so far its all sounding rather good better control than original BA6A two releases but would like it to run best it can & also understand what each part is doing

many thanks.......................Gary O.

I think there should be just one simple rule:
don't bother anyone with pm's or emails about projects.
everyone can ask questions in the forum if he has problems, but if someone shares he is not responsible for everyones problems in understanding the circuit or building it. that's it.

this said: I have build this compressor, and Olaf did a great job doing the reverse engineering and the PCB layout. :thumb:
bothered with the arguments he told us I understand why he decided to took all the documentation all off.

and: I understand it even more since I'm bothered with stupid questions via pm or email about projects I have build. ask in the threads, somebody will answer. if not, find the answer on your own.

that's it :!:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]I think there should be just one simple rule:

and: I understand it even more since I'm bothered with stupid questions via pm or email about projects I have build. ask in the threads, somebody will answer. if not, find the answer on your own.

that's it :!:[/quote]

I have a better rule.
Don't post or share if you don't want to be "bothered with stupid questions " from us stupid DIY'ers here on this forum.
It's human nature to ask questions.
Who better to ask than the person posting the working project?
This forum is used for exchange of ideas and questions.
If you don't want to be open for "stupid questions" don't post.
Go open a company and sue us for posting your brilliant godlike works of art. :evil:

[quote author="volta"]This forum is used for exchange of ideas and questions.[/quote] :thumb:
correct. ask in the forum so everybody can learn.
we would not see so much working GSSLs etc if all questions would have been alsked to Jakob in privacy.

I have to agree with silentarts on this issue.

The number of silly questions one gets w.r.t a project is high, & I would say that 80% have already been discussed in previous posts.

It is always a pleasure to help out newbies but sometimes people are just really lazy & not willing to put in some effort. Not referring to anyone in this thread, I've never dealt with any of you guys!

Peter

[quote author="kubi"]Honestly Volta, I don't see your point. What else are you asking for?
Today most of the people successfully finished their clones, the project is closed, the files removed. You are late.[/quote]

Drop the condescending tone.
I haven't pm anyone about this project.It's the arrogance and lack of patients that's disturbing to me.Words like "bothered with stupid questions"
I don't think there is such a thing as a "stupid question" when you are trying to learn something.That's my point.

Early bird gets the worm.
Like they say in Russia,Owellski.....

[quote author="volta"][quote author="[silent:arts]"]I think there should be just one simple rule:

that's it :!:[/quote]

I have a better rule.
Don't post or share if you don't want to be "bothered with stupid questions " from us stupid DIY'ers here on this forum.
It's human nature to ask questions.
Who better to ask than the person posting the working project?
This forum is used for exchange of ideas and questions.
If you don't want to be open for "stupid questions" don't post.
Go open a company and sue us for posting your brilliant godlike works of art. :evil:[/quote]

None of the initiators of the VK1 Project posted here because exactly this reaction was expected to happen. For that reason nobody can blame them for nothing. It was never intended that this project becomes public. Nobody wanted to share.

But for all of those who want a VK1 clone:
Get yourself a VK1, trace down the schematic, design a PCB, find out which iron to use, which meter to use, get your costom mainstrannie done, make up your mind how to calibrate that beast, build it, test it, enjoy it. It´s as simple as that.

I was told by tube guru ECC85 is not vari mu ??? just had a google comes up as vari mu there as here too...ah well ..Iv just soldered up a version of this limiter birds nested it on tiny 6 by 5 inch piece of ali, borrowed a 1:4 input tran & OP tran from Sowter the one for a BA6A seems to be working well...goin to tart it up a bit then try other transformers I have

Thanks

please reactivated this thread. was very interesting  :eek:. you have to be patient and always will be no stupid question. I did many stupid question  :'(

ur email ?
EDIT: many request for this hidden info...

here is the link for download.. 7 days... 100 downloads...
zip file contains everything you need..

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01QRFFVQXA3N0R2Wmc9PQ

penguin said:
wow... you can say that again. thanks for sharing. Just wish this project was more open for discussion  :(

Another interesting link. Is this the comp that the thread about purusha's copying was about?

mitsos said:
Another interesting link. Is this the comp that the thread about purusha's copying was about?

Cood catch, that's the one. So everybody just make a few "for your firends" who buy them for 3000,- USD on Gearslutz.

Purusha said:
Hi Olaf,

just a friendly question  :wink:

I will be honest with you. I build a few units a year for some local friends who have studios. So naturally I would rather have a pro made PCB than a home etch. No intentions to show this to anyone on the forums!

Is there any way to get the gerber file for the VK-1 PCB?
I think I would rather have a few boards made by a fabric.

You have my word that no one will ever find out about this. Maybe I can even help you one day with some front panels or cases.

Regards, Purusha

olafmatt said:
mitsos said:

Cood catch, that's the one. So everybody just make a few "for your firends" who buy them for 3000,- USD on Gearslutz.
Well, since we have your authorization....  ;)

In case the little winky guy isn't clear, I am kidding of course...  I don't think that Purusha's post ever saw the light of day before. I think it's good you posted, there were quite a few people who had no idea what the heck was going on with the thread silent:arts (I believe it was him) started about purusha copying a comp. So you are the one who did the rev-eng and layout? Good to know. Btw, this must have been the same comp someone posted a picture of but promptly deleted since it was supposed to be secret (a year or two ago)?  I remember the thread, I barely had time to read it and poof! it was gone.

Thanks for posting these details. I know volker took some flak for "complaining" about someone copying a project that the "owner" wasn't openly complaining about.  Obviously Purusha lied about his intentions, and now at least it's in writing.

That said, I hope you'd consider bringing this project back to DIY-land. I guess it's already there since, many people must have downloaded the files Penguin posted (I too asked for a copy) BUT, at least for me, it would be cool if there wasn't the rotten feeling of this project being cursed.... I still think most people are here to learn (or at least attempt to electrocute themselves). Just a thought.  Thanks for reading.

penguin said:
ur email ?
EDIT: many request for this hidden info...
here is the link for download.. 7 days... 100 downloads...

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01QRFFVQXA3N0R2Wmc9PQ

Hello checked link
but no docs available ,
it is "xpired"?
tanks
:-[

i finally finished this baby as P2P,  ;D
but its not the original circuit anymore
its something between altec436C meets urei 175b...
i call it 4375 for now...

for people with PCB pdf files: i dont know if he pcb has some errors, but p2p is pretty easy for this....
and original circuit works fine.... on pcb heaters looks odd to me... rest is easy to check, if you wanna use PCB...

due many mods/changes my P2P is in a mess right now...
when i get time, i will update some news, but in a different thread... as this is no more what the title says anymore

Would be interested to hear more I have messed with some DIY vari mu & am doin so now & had a little play with this circuit tho bit of confusion about correct tube to use it sort of worked.....Ive since been thinkin about the similar 436C circuit.

Thanks

Back