Another vari-mu: Chiswik Reach Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kambo ! Nice !

I've got all the parts to make a compressor like this, I've got all the docs, but because someone said it's not correct, I'll follow this thread and hope you're gonna share your schematic and your mods.

cheers

Ive just wired Up my version of this compressor for education myself purposes... as follows sowter Input Tran 1:4 250K daul ladder pot grids of ECC85 output tran a BIG  expensive Sowter meant for BA6A no output pad.....its sounding good....tried a Sowter 6:1, 9050 worked but distorted a bit, gonna try the recomended Sowter 8650 output tran........also noticed a different schematic than I worked from with 290V Ht extra capacitors different resistors feeding threashold pots & a balances pot for ECC85 plates & couple other differences , gonna try these changes out too

gary o said:
...also noticed a different schematic than I worked from with 290V Ht extra capacitors different resistors feeding threashold pots & a balances pot for ECC85 plates & couple other differences , gonna try these changes out too
any chance you could share this schemo?

Its already here Olafmatt posted both schematics and lots of useful info its near the bottom of 3rd page

I bought two PCBs, Cases, and VUs for this a while ago but never got around to building them. I'm going to get rid of them and post them in the black market. PM me if you're interested.

kambo said:
i dont know if the pcb has some errors, but p2p is pretty easy for this....
and original circuit works fine....
Which "original circuit" are you referring to?  The Altec, or the Chiswick schematic in the previous links?

:mad: yeh - i'm one of the "unlucky ones" that bought kit (3 kits actually :eek:) from Tat - plus all the sowter iron + mains transformers - spent FUCKING months trying to sort these but not much joy! I know that Tat pulled a fast one but I (and many others) bought the kit in good faith and spirit of the GROUPDIY forum.
I've no wish to turn this into a commercial project - just want to finish something that best part of £2000 spent on. I don't expect help posted here but if anyone would be kind enough to help via pm it would be massively appreciated.
With many PLEASE-THANKYOU-PLEASE in advance - mikeyB

2000 pound !!!!! may I ask what did you spend that amount on ?

I havent been following this PCB story I gather some bugger sold u PCBS that have errors.......Im sorry to hear that :mad: thats shitty......but moving on can you not fix or work around the errors, I recently point to pointed a mono version of this mainly from junk total cost prob 100 quid there not much to the circuit, in total labour I reckon it took less than a day, ok its not pretty and I made short cuts but it works great... now I no that I might tart it up a bit, as I did it as an experiment.

I wish you luck if I can help let me no.

If the schemo is correct (as kambo says above) then the quickest way to fix the PCBs is to throw them away and put this together P2P.  I haven't compared the schemo and layout, but I don't see how purusha could have messed up a board that was given to him finished.  Did he try to add stuff/features/mods and messed that up? Should be easy to fix if purusha would tell people what he "modified."

ALSO, have you tried posting at purusha's forum? People keep posting here, but fixing this board would be better handled at HIS forum. He should own up to his mistake and devote some time to fixing it.
www.diy-racked.com/

There you can ask him directly what he modified so you know which part of the board needs correcting and can focus you efforts there. good luck, it sucks to have so much $$ sunk in a non-working project...

gary o said:
2000 pound !!!!! may I ask what did you spend that amount on ?

I havent been following this PCB story I gather some bugger sold u PCBS that have errors.......Im sorry to hear that :mad: thats shitty......but moving on can you not fix or work around the errors, I recently point to pointed a mono version of this mainly from junk total cost prob 100 quid there not much to the circuit, in total labour I reckon it took less than a day, ok its not pretty and I made short cuts but it works great... now I no that I might tart it up a bit, as I did it as an experiment.

I wish you luck if I can help let me no.

Hello gary o - 6 channels of sowter iron in and out - 3 mains txs - 3 pcbs - 3 cases - pots/switches/meters/caps/connectors etc-etc-etc - yep - all high qual components - best part of 2k!!
Thanks for the offer of help - I may have to take you up on that one - cheers

Yeah I see MikeyB sorry I re read yr message and saw you went for 3 units.......good news is its not hard to point to point this thing all is not lost sounds like the boards are no use then as mitsos says throw em aside.

Latest posts

Back