Some standard items for DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiz1der

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what some of the "standard" items for projects that don't make it onto BOM lists. a few specifically are:

Spacers

Fuse holders

1/4" jacks (there are the insulated and then the all metal? what is to be used where?0

Screws

washers

I'm sure there are more items like this, but this is all that comes to mind right now, feel free to add.

Can we start a list here with digikey or mouser part numbers for these more common items?

Being kinda new to this and going to a MASSIVE site lke digikey or mouser turns up a BUNCH of results, and I would start to wonder if I was ordering the right thing.

This would help all of us newbies.

Thanks

hey fellow Los Agelino that stuff is usually not on the boms as
it is usually purchased locally or is usually a duh sort of thing. I can give you some great places to buy that stuff if you don't already know of them.

I just found out what the "least likely item to be found in a junk drawer" is.

A ball bearing.

Makes sense.

Looked for an hour last night. Finally had to take apart an air fitting. The brass thingies with the spring loaded collar for plugging in air hoses thingy.
I put the whole fitting in the junk drawer, Now me knows where to score a bearing.

Yeah, Craigs List and garage sales plus surplus equals a life time supply of everything DIY.

Nothing to add to that list but I will add when you order parts when ever possible buy as many pieces as it takes to get the price break. This will get you a nice assortment of parts for future projects. It will also be cheaper in the long run.

You put that 3360 to use yet?

I have ball bearings in my junk drawer, well box. But not one of those brass thingies with spring loaded collar for plugging in air hose thingy.

adam

Nothing to add to that list but I will add when you order parts when ever possible buy as many pieces as it takes to get the price break. This will get you a nice assortment of parts for future projects.
I can strongly recommend this!
The choice regarding the 1/4" (metal or insulated/plastic) is not that clear to me, too. If you use the metal thingies, you automaticly have the shield grounded to the chassis. However, i noticed most people here seem to prefer the plastic version (as seen in their pics)...maybe to be more flexible in their grounding scheme? The metal version is sturdier at heavy usage though...

Kind regards

Martin

Back