G1176 off the bench

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!!! Did you get a chance to use it yet? If so, how does it sound?!? Also, what meter and rack case did you use? It's a very cool looking meter and case!!

Consul,

You've got guts :!:

http://www.shinybox.com/fetsquish/fs3.jpg
http://www.shinybox.com/fetsquish/fs4.jpg

Tubejay:

The case is par-metal, the meter is out of an old QuadEight scoring console. I used one on snare last week, and it sounds frick'n great! Makes the snare sit up right purty =)

Makes me wanna go off and build a rack of 8 or so. Next pair will be without the input traffo, just to see the diff.

regards

ju

I etched the boards myself ( these were the first boards I ever etched, the ones now turn out better), so I did have some problems with traces in a couple spots, but with the quality of the group boards, that takes away that problem.

Overall, yup, Jakob makes our lives easy. Thanks Jakob :!:

Very cool! I'm in the process of building one myself. I'm still debating if I should go with the Lundahl or UTC transformers. The lundahl seem a little easier to get, so I'll probably go with them as you did. I can't wait to get it done! What are those orange caps you have in the PS?

Those are just Xicon 1000uF/50V. They were too big for the board, so they are kinna cock-eyed in there.

I also took some 14 guage solid copper and soldered it around the perimeter of the ground plane on the bottom of the board, as suggested in a few threads. the output traffo is also wired as per the Chef suggestion, for increased gain.

No hum at all from these units.

ju

Hey Fum,

Nice Boxes! :thumb:

Where did you get the green 3 position terminal block.
I did see some like that at Digi-Key...What part number
where they??? I am thinking the spacing is 2.5mm
between poles.
The QE meters look good in there. The brushed aluminum
looks good. Mine should be done soon..just gotta work out the mods
slam switch and finish wiring. :green:

Those connectors I got from Mouser, spacing is 2.54mm, and part number is:

651-1725669 1.62

Digikey has them too. Part

277-1274-ND

Regards

ju

Great stuff ju,

Love the "Shiny Box" thing...

I know what you mean, you just want to make racks of them they sound so good!

Nice work.

:thumb:

Mark

anybody put a pair of these in the same box for stereo? didn't i see a link to something like that? I haven't had time to search around for that..

[quote author="Svart"]anybody put a pair of these in the same box for stereo? didn't i see a link to something like that? I haven't had time to search around for that..[/quote]

I am pretty sure that was Dean. He seems to be floating around here so I am sure he will pop up :0)

ju -

I noticed that you also had the electronics (minus the 5532) in there for the electronic debalancing. Did you do any comparisons between that and when you had the input lundahl?

Greg,

I haven't done the comparisons between 5532 and lundahl as of yet ( had a session sneak up on me so I didn't have enough time to really mess around).

To the question of the oversized caps, there's no reason they are there, other than I ordered them as parts, and they were too big, so I got out my crowbar and put them in anyway. :grin:

And the question was asked again about the meter. It's out of an old QuadEight scoring console.

Perhaps the next ones I'll do a stereo pair in one box.

Regards

ju

Latest posts

Back