Drewtronics Sherlock - found an error

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

While searching through old posts I saw that a few of you had some problems with the Drewtronics level lock clone. I'm not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else, but I found an error on the parts list. Drew basically coppied the M62V schemo exactly and has gotten almost everything right. However, he lists the emitter resistor for Q8 as 22K (R30). The Shure schematic has this resistor as 2.2K. I'm still pretty much a newb, but wouldn't using the 22K throw off the bias of Q8, which could give the uber-distortion that some have reported?

I don't have all my parts yet, so I haven't tried it out. Hopefully this helps the folks with semi-working builds.

-Chris

> he lists the emitter resistor for Q8 as 22K (R30). The Shure schematic has this resistor as 2.2K. ...wouldn't using the 22K throw off the bias of Q8, which could give the uber-distortion that some have reported?

It makes the AUX OUT weaker than it should be. I don't see how it has any other effect.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I followed Drew's scheme/layout and put a 22K in there for R30, and the AUX out is still way louder than the MAIN out.

~ Charlie

Cool. Thanks PRR. I am curently reading up on tube gain stages and I guess I was thinking in terms of a cathode resistor.

Tubes first, then silicon... :grin:

Latest posts

Back