Focusrite ComPounder......schematic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Go to http://users.pandora.be/Rogy and download the folder Compounder.zip.

Greetz,

Rogy

Yeppers. A dual comp/limiter and gate/expender.

I don't own the one I need the schem for so I don't know how they sound, just that this one appears to have cooked the pwr trannie.

:cool:

Thank you for the schematic!

Hmm, that's a lot of components :shock: Opto gate, discrete VCA comp & opto limiter (is that possible?) What is an 'NSL32-023'? Is it really fast enough for a limiter? That Fat/Huge switch or whatever it is called, works like a charm, maybe that inductor trick could be used in the SSL clones? :wink:

NSL032 - optocoupler?
http://www.silonex.com/audiohm/application.html
http://www.silonex.com/audiohm/compressor.pdf

Yes, but I still can't find a datasheet for that graded 023. The other 032s have a on/risetime of 3,5mS. That's not quite fast enough for a limiter, ime. I did try out the compressor section once and that was nice :grin:

Now look here old chap - let's be British about this, Focusrite would not have marketed the beast if the NSL32-023 was not up to it, and may have resorted to the old tried and tested combo of 2252/2180 or 2181 - and on top of that it's an excellently produced set of circuits, just right for veroboard!
Stephen

Are you kidding, ol' chap? Let's be danish about this; So Focusrite is the pinnacle of engineering, huh? British or not, it's well done average stuff. Also, I don't think it's a good candidate for a veroboard project. Quite a lot of components..

I do remember the comp action to be nice, but I didn't try the limiter or gate. But generally I'd say optos aren't the best for use in a limiter. you and Focusrite may disagree. YMMV and all that jazz..

Danish eh! Well I suppose we all have a fragment of Danish in our blood over here after the boys with cow horns on their heads invaded 1200 years ago. My point is that I always build on veroboard unless I have a pcb available. I just don't make them, like I don't do diy or mend my car. I suppose the biggest project I ever did on veroboard was the Electroharmonix guitar synth back in 1980. I think quite a few folks use it over here because Maplin always has it in stock!!!!!

Regarding the Optocoupler..

Reply from Silonex
See - you can get maunfactures to talk - just have to ask them in the right way!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Simon and thanks for the reply,
Yes I can see it on the PDF, but it is a part that is not standard and
that was specially selected for a customer so I apologise for that. We will
update the PDF. May I suggest that your customer tries the NSL 32 SR3 as a
replacement.

Best regards,

Euan.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 9:48 AM
To: Euan Davidson
Subject: RE: Optocoupler NSL032-023