Possible DIY projects - anybody doing them

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I just wondered whether anybody out there is DIY'ing these from scratch...

M/S Decoder
Telefunken V72S or even a V76
Chandler/Decca TG1 or TG2
Helios Type 69 EQ

More of a wish list really...

I'm going to get around to doing a passive transformer M-S matrix someday (schematics at Jensen Transformers).

The V72 interested me as an easier project than the V76, and I believe Chris had mentioned at the old place that it shouldn't be too hard to do a modern version with the more available EF-86 pentodes. (Are the transfomers 1:20 and 20:1 on that one? Likely candidates?) I wonder how they'd sound as the makeup gain to a Pultec or other passive eq . . .

On the Helios, I'd want to build the whole channel. Well, 16 of them, with a couple mix buses and some ADR 760's. (Anyone got a picture of Mike Tholen's console handy to get me drooling?) The pre is supposed to be a chunk of the beauty there, so I wouldn't want to stop at just the eq, and besides, they were using Beyer transformers - that should still be available, right?

Bear

I've done a passive MS too.

Honestly, I'd rather buy an original V72/76. They use trannies made of unobtanium and they are at least 50% of the sound. DIY'ing one is not going to be cheaper anyway..

I have my own angle on the Helios/EMI/TG type of pres, I have a couple of channels 'like that'..

[quote author="sismofyt"]I've done a passive MS too.[/quote]

Could you post details, please?
i'm really interested in cooking me one.
Thank you :grin:

Bear, here are a couple of Helios pics to make you drool. I think this one is cooler than Mike's :green: It's Clapton's ole Helios btw..

Helios_29.jpg

Helios_30.jpg

[quote author="sismofyt"]Passive stereo MS:

www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as065.pdf[/quote]

ah!!.. that one!! sorry.. i tought you did your own

There isn't many ways to do a passive matrix with trannies. One gotta know when to re-invent the wheel and when to nick stuff of the net :green:

I also had an active MS unit made by the Danish Broadcast Empire, but I sold that one and bought the Jensen trannies instead. Sounds a lot better to me.

I have had a look at the Sowter web site and they do one for £22.00
http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/8379.htm

Latest posts

Back