oscilloscopes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udip

Hi all,

I want to buy an oscilloscope and was thinking about
something like a computer based scope from www.picotech.com

Are they any good for audio?
What are your suggestions for a good scope? digital, analog, etc...

Thanks,

Udi.

tons of threads about scopes allready, just do a search for em.

cliff notes: ebay has a ton of good teletronix ones for cheap, but they are heavy.

software side, same thing on the search.
also depends if your mac or pc based.

goodluck.
t

> a computer based scope from www.picotech.com

You pay a lot for pretty poor performance. Unless you just want pretty-pictures, you need to go to the $350 model or higher to have a good chance of seeing non-trivial audio system problems. $350 will buy a fine new analog scope, or maybe a very-fine used scope.

OTOH, a good old Tek is a lot bigger and won't log data to PowerPoint. I do have a digi-scope, but I have three analog scopes.

Hi, this week I will get tektronix 2215A - 2x60Mhz scope.
I think too about PC baset scopes, (smaller and more functions) but they are expensive for me and old scopes are better.
good luck :)

Hi Udip,
If it's a real 'scope you want, then you are doing the right thing getting analog.
I use the Pico system a lot; the only one that's any good is the expensive one, and that's OK as a spectrum analyser, but it's awful as a scope unless you just want pretty pictures. As a production test tool it's quick and easy to use, but don't ask to see anything too detailed with it.
When testing high end production gear, I use the Pico to check for gross errors and to look at the distortion characteristics (with the analyser), I look at noise with home-made noise testing meters, and then I use a real 60 meg scope to look for any nasties I might have missed..... and with wideband gear that's certainly not unknown; and without a good analog scope I would still be looking! :grin:

I don't know if your in the States or not, but I bought a DC power supply from this guy on ebay and he called me and talked my ear off... really set me straight on what I needed..

nice guy. check out his stuff... give him a call. He will tell more than you need to know.. which is a good thing. He has a 1-800#

http://stores.ebay.com/DAVID-RIDDLE-COMPANY

Latest posts

Back