balanced/unbalanced mono passive summing network

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric

hi,
tons of summing threads out there. cant quite find the info i am looking for. i am sure the answer is already there for me but i am too green to know. i want to build a simple 5 input to one output mono summing network that could sum either balanced or unbalanced gear together and then have makeup gain through either the preamp or DI on a great river mp2nv(assuming DI has enough gain on it). if i put together a simple balanced summing network (like newyorkdaves example) can i also sum unbalanced gear through this along with balanced gear? or am i better off just making an unbalanced summing network and running all balanced gear through the network unbalanced? will i run into problems using the balanced outputs this way?what network would work best for me and what resistor value should i use?

the source of the mono stems would be:
-unbalanced akai sampler outs
-unbalanced studio electronic synth outs
-balanced apogee da outs
-balanced equilizer or compressor outs (massive passive/eq2nv/550a etc)

i am sure the answer is simple. thanks in advanced..

regards,
electric

You could use a balanced summer and tie the "cold" input to ground for the unbalanced sources. If you use stereo jacks for the inputs and mono jacks for the cables (for the unbalanced sources only, of course), this is done automatically.

There is a slight degradation in "balance" when doing this, but probably not enough to matter.

A solution without this degradation is far more complex and needs transformers and/or active electronics for every input.

Samuel

Back