Type of tape for Roland tape echo?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Noll

I want to create some spare tape loops to load into a Roland SRE555 tape echo. My understanding is that that tape echo machines used a special lubricated tape. Exactly what type of tape would be best for this and is it still available somewhere? Or should I just use 456 or something currently available?

Some other tape loop machines like the WEM Copicat had a little pad for a lubricant of some sort. What type of lubricant was used in those?

> My understanding is that that tape echo machines used a special lubricated tape.

Endless reeled tape, like 8-track and broadcast cart, did need lubrication so they could pull tape out of the center of the reel. The obvious source would be old 8tracks and carts; 8tracks were junk, try to find broadcast carts. (They are about the same thing, except 8tracks have an internal pinchroller, carts have a big hole where the deck shoves a pinchroller behind the tape.)

If this is an open loop, not reeled up on itself, I don't see why it needs lubrication.

Speaking of lubrication.. Does anyone know what kind of lubrication needs the Binson Echorec machines?

Thanks,

Synthi

[quote author="John Noll"]I want to create some spare tape loops to load into a Roland SRE555 tape echo. My understanding is that that tape echo machines used a special lubricated tape. Exactly what type of tape would be best for this and is it still available somewhere? Or should I just use 456 or something currently available?

Some other tape loop machines like the WEM Copicat had a little pad for a lubricant of some sort. What type of lubricant was used in those?[/quote]

I use The Cart Guys. Bulk 1/4" Back-Lubricated Tape 7" reel 640 Meters long. $25.95 You'll need a 1/4" edit block and some splicing tape. 640 meters will make you a lot of loops.
http://www.cartguys.com/ctr_prices.htm#anchor973579

Cheers,

elco

The Space Echo used a loose loop - instead of a little cartridge where the tape was wound up in a spool, it had a sort of flat bin and a shorter loop. So lubrication isn't that important for the Space Echo. Still, probably not a bad idea to buy that sort of tape, since it'll likely also have other qualities needed by a loop application such as strength, more durable tape coating, etc.

Back