Car boot sale Tandberg

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microx

Picked up a Tandberg Model 11 tape recorder for 5euros. Was going to junk it for bits then I played a bit and got it working, now I want to fix it. Dont really know why curiosity I guess.
Have any of you Scandanavian guys got any service info or operating details. I have "googled" without any joy.
Steve

somewhere ont his site - amongst the links I bet you can find what you want...http://www.nrhf.no/nrhf-eng.html
The schematics are for sale - but good luck with the links

Ive got a Tandberg model 8 tape recorder from 1963 that I had fixed (by Joe at JLM) a couple of years ago. I think he just replaced a bunch of caps. It used to run for about 10 minutes then get very hot and the audio would fade to nothing.

Since its been working its been one of the most useful things in my studio. Its quite a cool guitar amp, an amazing bassey bass amp (yes, from the 6" oval speaker) and a cool sounding DI.

Its also a useful mic pre if you put a good input xformer up front. It has a very soft sound (like an extremely slow a class Neve) and I use it on guitars and sometimes vocals.

Ive got a circuit for mine, but not for a model 11. If youd like to see it anyway let me know and Ill scan it in.

Best of luck - theyre real 'sleepers' I think.

Matt

[quote author="microx"]Have any of you Scandanavian guys got any service info or operating details.[/quote]
I have a blue Tandberg binder somewhere full of service manuals - I'll see if I can find it. I'm working on a (very) old Tandberg also - you can see it here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Tandberg6/

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hehe, isn't Xita (is that the name?) in danger of getting fried :shock:

Pets and tube DIY is not a good combo :cry:

Have you gotten the Tandberg to run with the 5842/6N1P electronics? I'm really thinking about getting my hands on a Revox G36 :razz:

[quote author="sismofyt"]Hehe, isn't Xita (is that the name?) in danger of getting fried :shock:
Pets and tube DIY is not a good combo :cry: [/quote]
Xita likes living on the edge :cool:

She is also the reason I never leave anything powered up without keeping the door closed...

Have you gotten the Tandberg to run with the 5842/6N1P electronics? I'm really thinking about getting my hands on a Revox G36 :razz:
Yes, it works well. I just have to put it in a box - you can see my prototype here (on page two): http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Tandberg/

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

About the service info. Is the model 11 the small portable deck? If it is I have a manual with schematic, PCB layouts and alignment instructions.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I'll make you a honoury member of the "just say no to 19" boxes" society :green:

Cookie1.jpg

Cookie2.jpg

So, how do you like it?

[quote author="sismofyt"]So, how do you like it?[/quote]
I like it! It sounds sweet and buttery :wink:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Jeeez, I have heard of breadboard but BISCUIT TIN?
Mikkel, Yes it's portable three speed half track and the one I have has a fourth head for an indexing track (I think).
Steve

[quote author="microx"]Jeeez, I have heard of breadboard but BISCUIT TIN?[/quote]
I tried the breadboard first, but I got too much hum - that's when I noticed that biscuit tin... :green:

Mikkel, Yes it's portable three speed half track and the one I have has a fourth head for an indexing track (I think).
Do you want a copy of the manual? I guess I have your address somewhere - unless there's more than one Steve from Spain...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I have a Bang & Olufsen 2000 1/2 track tape recorder I bought in 1969. It barely works now so I can't play all my Yardbirds/Cream/Jeff Beck/John Mayall sessions I recorded on that and a previous. One of the things my Dad excelled on was helping me out with a few quid when I really needed it. He lent me the £150 the B & O cost me and then let me off half of it a year later. It was a phenominal recorder for its time, sound on sound, simul synch, echo etc.
Stephen

Bo,
Thanks for the info, I had already looked there but there is no service info,
Mikkel says he can send me a copy of the manual so it's looking good.
I like analog tape for the slightly compressed sound you get when you drive the tape a bit harder, I think this recorder will end up as an effect box, guitar in through a DI box and out from the playback (echo also possible). All those fourty year old electros are bound to give it a bit of charecter! and all for 5 euros.
Steve

I really like the Tandberg machines.

I've always been a fan of domestic reel to reel machines and my collection includes:

3x Ferrographs (series 4 and 5- battleship grey Wearite decks!)

2x Tandberg series 15's

Akai 4000DS

Revox A77

Fi Cord 202

Grundig TK17

All working...and more in various states of distress.

The Tandbergs are mono 1/2 track, and have been used to master a few mono-only projects, with great results. If anyone has a schematic and/or service info for the Tandberg 15's it'd be really useful- I've kept them going with "applied guesses" so far!

:thumb:

Mark

Revox A77 is THE machine if you wanna record 70's original jamiacan dub/reggae. 7,5IPS & lotta weed. Awseom machine, I got a couple myself.

Dis iz high-fi :green:

I'm thinking about picking up a G36 :razz:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/siliconf/JukkaTolonen/ga/revox/revox.html

[quote author="Mark Burnley"]If anyone has a schematic and/or service info for the Tandberg 15's it'd be really useful- I've kept them going with "applied guesses" so far![/quote]
I have already told you about the Tandberg binder I have. It includes most of their decks from the sixties and early seventies - including your 15s. Do you want a copy?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Mikkel,

I hadn't realised you had the whole service folder for the Tandbergs- a copy of the schematic and any other info for the Series 15 would be fantastic- thanks!

I'll PM you.

Cheers!

Sismofyt,

Yea, I love my A77- 7.5ips is where it's at soundwise. I put most of my mixes to it now, as well as making favourite compilations from vinyl and CD!

Reely good!

:cool:

Mark

[quote author="sismofyt"]
I'm thinking about picking up a G36 :razz:
[/quote]

I have one in store somewhere that could be negotiable... It's one of the two units that our studio started out with back in 1973.

Jakob E.

Back