Fitting Pots to Front Panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I know its a stupid question - but I seemed to have missed the lecture on "Finding out the bleeding obvious"

A pot like this...

1pceph8a.jpg

How big is the hole in the front panel?
Is it for the 6.35mm shaft?
Or the square, half circle bush(?) with the thread?
And if it's not the half circle bush - how do stop your knob twisting the thing around - I know you can tightnen up with a nut and washer - but is that enough?
Commons sense tells me it must be just the shaft that goes through - otherwise the knob is not going to sit true on the face of the front panel
But I just want to check

Some knobs are big enough to cover the nut which tightens the pot to the frontpanel so in that case you'll need a hole the size of the "square, half circle bush". If it's not a "square, half circle bush" thingy, than you''ll have some sort of pin to stop the pot from twisting but a good thightening will do the trick most of the time. Use two nuts, one on the front of the panel and one on the back. This way the pot does not stick out to much and also, now you can tighten the nut on the backside of the panel to prevent getting scratches on the front.

If you use small knobs, which aren ot big enough to cover the nut, then you can make a second panel from sheet aluminum which goes behind the frontpanel. You fix the pots on this piece of sheet aluminum and then you make holes in your front panel again the size of the "square, half circle bush" thingy only this time the pots go thru the panel just a bit.

Like this:

handknob.jpg

and

frontknobs.jpg

Latest posts

Back