groove tubes vari mu

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Friend just sent this link

http://www.stirlingtrading.com/products_GT_glorycomp.htm

I notice that they`re keeping tight lipped about the valve they`re using to do the business. DOes anyone know if they`ve done a 6386 reissue ?

I very much doubt so. Would take a lot of development money, and not many are used. At least not enough to fund re-development, I think..

Jakob E.

Yes, 5749 is a rugged 6AB6. I see they use the Fairly famous 6005 power tubes. Now we've accounted for 4 of the 7 tubes.

I was struck by this note in a review:

"It's no wonder that the Glory Comp sounds great on low-frequency material. According to the designers, the its control circuitry was designed to bridge the gap between electronic and optical gain-reduction compressors. When an electronic compressor's attack and release controls are set to intervals approaching or equal to the time period of the wave it is trying to control, non-musical artifacts are generated. According to the Glory Comp manual, ?Low-frequency phase splitting circuitry is applied to the varying program signal voltage sample before being presented to the compressor's rectifier circuit. The LF signal content is then full wave ? rectified by two separate peak rectifier circuits. The result is four or more peak events per cycle of bass signal content, creating a far smoother DC control voltage for modulating the variable gain circuitry.? The result is a more ?optical? smoothness when compressing bass signals, but without the speed and control restrictions inherent in an optical approach."

Nevermind the BS about opto. They have a new trick for the bass distortion problem. four or more peak events per cycle of bass signal content is somewhat mind-bending. It might actually be novel.

I have these and if someone will tell me how to post photos' I will do that over the weekend.You guys in the forum have given me so much,perhaps I can do something in return.

[quote author="gyraf"]I very much doubt so. Would take a lot of development money, and not many are used. At least not enough to fund re-development, I think..[/quote]
How much development would be needed? As far as I remember the 6385 and 6386 are identical, apart from differences in the grid winding. And the 6385 (or something very close) is still being made in China, and perhaps Russia also - the 6N3P.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

> tell me how to post photos

Take pictures. Save to your PC. Remember where you put them.

Go to http://tinypic.com/

Browse to where you saved the file on your PC and select the file, note the warning about naked or offensive pictures, and "Host Picture". When it goes through, they tell you the URL of your picture- be SURE to make a note!!!

One big limit: any image over 250KB will be re-sized. You can do a lot in 250KB, but sometimes you need more to capture the fine texture of a well-turned ankle.... er, a well-wired amplifier.

At http://www.groupdiy.twin-x.com/ there is an image-server donated for the use of this forum's members. File size can be large. But you have to Register (free) and then create an Album, upload, and then the URL to point AT your file is tricky to find.

If you have image manipulation software, it is polite to crop-out the crap around the object of interest, tune the contrast, and consider the size and compression level. A raw camera image can sometimes be compressed a lot without apparent loss, but jaggy images are hard to read.
------------------------

> apart from differences in the grid winding.

Ah, but the grid winding is often the toughest part of the tube.

"fine texture of a well-turned ankle.... er, a well-wired amplifier"

uh oh PRR is going to turn to girls!!! NOOOOOOO!! you can't! you HAVE to stay with the tubes! STAY WITH THE TUBES!

and post those pics!

I will open one up today and get some photos,if I cant upload them myself several nice folks have offered to do it for me if I email them.I must say I am impressed with the units, a bit expensive though.
Harryh

[quote author="mcs"]
How much development would be needed? As far as I remember the 6385 and 6386 are identical, apart from differences in the grid winding. And the 6385 (or something very close) is still being made in China, and perhaps Russia also - the 6N3P.
[/quote]

It's the way the grid is wound that makes it vari-mu. I think it really comes down to the numbers. Quantity of production vs. demand.

Latest posts

Back