How thick should a chassis be?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hejsan

Can't find this info anywhere, but I see that comercial chassis have 3mm aluminium! Is this really necessary?
Is this only a shielding issue or are there any regulations that one should know about, or rules of thumb for that matter?

Are there different requirements for tube vs solid state?

I ask because I just found a cheap sheet metal bender that goes up to 1.6 mm on 30" wide aluminium and even bigger if the sheet is smaller so I wondered if this would be cool for chassis building?

Thanks,
Hejsan

Alluminum is OK, but you can't solder a ground lug to it very easily. Anything that gets bolted down as a ground will be subject to aluminun oxide as a barrier to good conductivity, and this can change with time.

However, there are those that believe that an Al chassis can sound better.
Actually, the only aspect of this is some stuff I read about Marshall guitar amps. The earliest ones were Al, and some say they sound better.

This might have to do with the conductivity of Al vs steel, and also the magnetic properties of Al.

I have not seen any scientific studies to back this up, so....

The weight of the "guts" within a chassis is a factor to consider. I've been wrestling with a rack-mount chassis design that is VERY deep (approx. 20") to accomodate three International Power open-frame linear modules that weigh 19 pounds apiece. Needless to say, I'll orient the modules to that the power transformers are closest to the front rack panel.

Bri

1.5mm aluminium is fine, as long as it's solid enough for whatever you're building. Installing heavy transformers in the middle of a 1mm alu chassis may not be a good idea :grin:

You could just add some bracing though.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Fall-front-Fairchild.jpg

> comercial chassis have 3mm aluminium! Is this really necessary?

1/8" Aluminum is common in Rack Mount. You need thickness to get stiffness across a 17" rack.

But Steel rack panels are normally 1/16" (1.6mm) with the top and bottom edges turned back to stiffen it.

Nobody bends 1/8" 3mm Aluminum. OK, it is commonly done for some truck and race-car brackets. I don't think I've ever seen bent 1/8" Al in audio; if someone is doing that, they probably charge a LOT. More common is flat pieces of thick Al joined at the corners with L-brackets.

1/8" steel is "too heavy" for car and light-truck frames, stuff more like 2mm was common when car had frames. Of course now cars are made entirely of metal thinner than 1mm: bending and folding can give a very strong stiff structure.

Most electronic chassis are much smaller than a car. If we did a complicated structure like a modern car frame/body, we could use much thinner metal, so thin that a screw would pull out. It would also take longer to design and bend the chassis than to design and build the circuit inside. So mostly we use a sheet metal that is strong enough around the screw-holes, bend a simple box, and try.

For stuff like studio gear, just a few Watts, the main thing is: do the knobs and jacks feel solid when you use them? An XLR jack in the center of a large unsupported panel will feel cheap. Near the edge of the panel where it is supported by the adjacent side, it feels solid.

For big stuff like tube loudspeaker amps or high-power tranny amps, when you put the 20lb 10Kg transformer in the middle of a large thin panel, it sags; and when you truck it up to Rocky Road Stadium, the vibration tears the panel and the transformer breaks loose. Put heavy lumps near an edge or corner, or add bracing. For Rack Mount, if all the weight is carried on the rack ears, heavy lumps must be put near the front, to make it easier for installer Brian's wrists, and so vibration won't rip the back of the box off the rack-ears.

> Is this only a shielding issue or are there any regulations that one should know about, or rules of thumb for that matter?

Foil can give good electrostatic shielding. Aluminum gives nearly no electromagnetic shielding. Iron can give some EM shielding, but any hole in the iron leaks a lot of EM, and it is usually better to put iron around the specific part that needs EM shielding (usually an input transformer) rather than try to enclose the whole amplifier.

There may be strength requirements for commercial "UL CSA TUV Approved" enclosures. The main idea would be: you can't shove your finger into a live wire, and it is hard to dent the case enough to cause a short. The main concern is mass-production products that are designed as CHEAP as possible. A penny saved on a million-seller product is big money. I think when you build for yourself, you will pick plenty-strong material, because you are not counting pennies, your labor and satisfaction is worth far more than that.

If you need a rack panel box, buy a blank rack panel and bend a box behind it. If you are building KiloWatt amplifiers, structure will be a big design issue. If you are doing normal DIY audio stuff, I'd think 1.6mm is plenty.

A big deal: is the clamp foot slotted? You can use angle-iron and G-clamps to bend a sheet into a "U". But if you want to bend all four sides of a sheet up, to make a 5-sided box, the 3rd and 4th bends will be blocked by the sides bent-up by the 1st and 2nd bend, unless there are slots in the foot for the 1st and 2nd side edges to go into. A very nice bender has dozens of clamp-on feet in several sizes so you can bend any size and still clear. Some cheap ones give you a couple slots, and you have to bend the box to a size that will fit. Some brakes have a solid foot and are limited to simple U bent shapes.

[quote author="jrmintz"]
Fall-front-Fairchild.jpg
[/quote]
It?s highly subjective but I think in this case even the Fairchild will sound like crap. :green:

:thumb:

Thanks for all the feedback.
Seth: When it comes to the definition of insanity, you're the man :shock:

But yes I believe that the feel and the athmosphere make up like 80% off a good recording. (The musik being the remaining 20%) Therefor chassis should look and feel like they mean buisness!
[quote author="PRR"]
1/8" Aluminum is common in Rack Mount. You need thickness to get stiffness across a 17" rack.
But Steel rack panels are normally 1/16" (1.6mm) with the top and bottom edges turned back to stiffen it.
[/quote]
What do you mean by turned back? Just making a small fold at the edges?
[quote author="PRR"]Nobody bends 1/8" 3mm Aluminum. [/quote]
Ok.. so I guess I wount be doing that for now :green:

[quote author="PRR"]
If you need a rack panel box, buy a blank rack panel and bend a box behind it. If you are building KiloWatt amplifiers, structure will be a big design issue. If you are doing normal DIY audio stuff, I'd think 1.6mm is plenty...
[/quote]
Do you mean that 1.6mm is plenty of aluminium or steel in a rack unit only if the front plate is 3mm?

Ok, the design that I have been contemplating for a rack unit goes like this:
front, bottom and back is all in one bent piece.
both sides and top are all in one bent piece.

So that's two pieces that are really easy to bend.
This seemed to me to be the quickest and easiest way to go and best in order to be able to conveiniently work inside it, having all the points of connection on the same sheet => same ground.

And now for the BUT:
But I've heard that aluminium makes a lowsie ground so the front-bottom-back piece would have to be steel (~1,6mm). Is that correct?

And now for another BUT:
but steel is supposedly much harder to drill and cut into than aluminium. Is that correct even if the steel is thinner than the aluminium would have to be?
And is steel as strong as the 3mm aluminium, even if it's only 1.6mm?
Mabey close enough?

I kind of figured that there are two kinds of chassis that a diy'er needs:

1) One heavy duty for Tube equipment that needs heavy shielding and has lots of big transformers such as the LA2a and

2) One lightweight for solid state circuits containing maybe one or two small input/output trafos and a small mains, such as for the gssl clone or some green pre's.

How should I choose the material for theese two designs?

Thats a bunch of questions, so please feel free to dive in and try to straighten me out :grin:
Regards,
Hejsan

[quote author="hejsan"]But I've heard that aluminium makes a lowsie ground so the front-bottom-back piece would have to be steel (~1,6mm). Is that correct?[/quote]
No, aluminium is fine - some say better. Steel is used because it's cheap, or when aluminium isn't solid enough.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

When I'm looking at a pile of 50 year old audio gear, the aluminum chassis stuff always looks great, and the steel chassis stuff is usually covered in rust.

Latest posts

Back