Caps's choice for G9 preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macwifiste

Hello everybody!

At first , thanks to Jakob for his work and all the users of this forum.

I'm building the G9, and I have difficulties to choose the caps. I take some Black Gate and ELMA's caps for the power supply, but for the rest....

I found a site :http://www.thetubestore.com/capsbymanuf.html

I Have a question, theses caps seems to be built for tube amp like fender, orange, Vox etc Can I use it for the G9? Because I want a preamp with a personnality but not too much!!

I see the G9 built by Zee1USA who uses Arcontronics cap ( very fast and react cap!)

I need some help

alo mac
yes,orange drops are okay.
just remember not to go under the voltage rating(250v).i don`t know if orange drops have the values for the g9.
check mouser or digikey because they have them.
tell me after you checked.
best regards
pedro

Since you're in Paris (if that's Paris, France?), why not order the caps from a company in Europe? RS and Farnell for instance have all the caps you need in stock. They also have the caps that will fit the PCB. Many of the US caps have strange sizes...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Because with farnell and RS, you have only some audio caps, and I think that If I use the most audio caps, I can Use, better the sound will be! lol Maybe it's wrong

Yes Paris in France

Thanks for your answer

You can get a lot of audio caps from RS and Farnell. "Orange Drops" are not audio caps for instance - they are just general purpose film caps. The caps you can get from BC/Philips, Rifa, Evox, Wima etc. are just as good, if not better.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Ah, no. Don't spend your money ...
This mic pre isn't at the high-end way. I don't mean that isn't good, but its sound is like rock and dirty. No need black gates caps. Use caps like blue philips etc. Good components but no extreme components.
Mine was builded with black gate and hovland caps and all components was extremely good. It was sounded good but 10 times worse than my next diy slowblow. The next one was builded with very cheep low quality components .... :razz:

So, build it with everything you have, and then if you like you can change the components you think.....

Cheers
fotis

[quote author="FotisGR"]
This mic pre isn't at the high-end way. I don't mean that isn't good, but its sound is like rock and dirty. [/quote]

What transformers or other special parts have you used then? My G9 ist extremely clean, punchy and doesn´t sound like rock and dirt at all - although I use OEPs...

I know, talking about sound is always highly subjective, but what leads you to your conclusion?

Greetings and happy christmas!

Michael

What transformers or other special parts have you used then? My G9 ist extremely clean, punchy and doesn´t sound like rock and dirt at all - although I use OEPs...

I know, talking about sound is always highly subjective, but what leads you to your conclusion?

Greetings and happy christmas!

First Happy Christmas to all of you and I wish a happy new year for all.
Second, i used for both pre OEP trafos. By the way i like more the clear sound of LL than the OEP.
Ofcourse it is subjective . And it is a good Rock sounded pre. But if you wanna spend some money try something better , no spend your money to this pre changing components. It is a very nice Rock- solid sounded - pre. But if you need a hi-end sound you need something else, not only some exotic components.
If you wanna sign-play like Rolling Stones and Revival side all ok , but if you on Chesky records side, forget it....

Cheers

I prefer OEP than Lundahl

But i agree with Fotis
The "Slow Blow" (mine is not the one on the web)
sounds more high-end than the G9

The G9 seems to be "far" from the mic
when compared with the "Slow Blow"

And the Slow Blow do rocks, also, with
a great phat low/mid but cristal highs.

:shock:

dirty???? No, I would have only a pre amp with personnality not a dirty sound because I record often voices for post-production....

Thanks for your answer!

This mic pre isn't at the high-end way. I don't mean that isn't good, but its sound is like rock and dirty.

I have to say that my G9 is one of the smoothest sounding pre's I have heard. I know this could well be a bit of confusion in the language department, but, in my experience, this is not a "dirty" pre. It has a very sweet midrange to it.

I have built 2 so far, one with Lundahl inputs & OEP outs, the second with OEP's in & out, all of us at our studio prefer the OEP version. One of my favourite techniques is to run my mix through it in line mode to give it an extra dimension. Very nice indeed.

I have not built the Sloblo, so I cant compare the 2, it is on the list which seems to be never ending.....

No, I would have only a pre amp with personnality not a dirty sound because I record often voices for post-production....

This is what I do for a living (TV & radio spots), & my favourite mic pre choice for this job is a Neve clone. Fat & warm, lots of harmonics. It's is what I hear & what I am looking for in commercials.

Regards
Peter

G9 isn't dirty pre. Just comparable with slowblow is a litle bit dirty. Slowblow has more dynamic - plenty of harmonics sound.
My brother said that my TLM103 via G9 is like TLM has its sponge on it and when he goes to slowblow is like take off the sponge from the mic.

Cheers
Fotis

Latest posts

Back