A question to the mac users

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using a FREE! program for a while on my PC called Gimp. It was originally ported over from linux and it's perhaps one of the most usefull FREE! progams that I have ever used. It has almost all of the functunality of Photoshop (Accept you don't have to sell a kidney to own it) including the use of plug ins (I think you can even use Photoshop plug ins). It would appear that it has also now been ported over for Mac, although I haven't used the Mac version yet. Oh yeah, and did I mention it's FREE :!: I've used Photoshop a pretty good bit at my job, and Gimp is acctually better at some things and provides more control in a lot of areas than Photoshop. The mac version is available at MacGimp.com, so check it out. Nathan

I have used the gimp on osx. Almost as good as photoshop(photoshop probably seems better to me because I am used to it) and free...you cant lose.

if you are in OSX I have not found much that I like. The Gimp is a great program but its like photoshop and not great for layouts, I prefer CAD programs or Illustration programs for panel layout. What I found to be the best is xfig, which you need to have X11 and the developers tools cd installed so you can compile and run it. The CAD pograms I have tried for OSX are just so much overkill, full of features I will never need for my simple panel layouts and schematic drawing. If you are in OS9, minicad is fantastic! If only it was native to OSX.

adam

Where do I get minicad & is it free (I'm still in OS9.22 - mostly) ....

OK I'm being lazy. I'll go google.

Whilst we're on the topic of mac software, I've been trying to learn to use OsmondX for designing PCBs.

http://www.swcp.com/~jchavez/osmond.html

It's free, spits out gerber files but is not particularly intuitive. Maybe I should read the ____ manual.

:green:

thanx,i just found out that there are corel versions which work on mac!i was not aware of that durin looking on the corel url...

MiniCAD is not supposed to be free, Its also no longer made. They renamed it something else and gave it all kinds of features and totaly ruined it. It is probably out there somewhere still, I am sure if you dig around for long enough you will find it out there.

adam

Latest posts

Back