Do zeners drift? Do we drift into beer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sismofyt

I have a JBL 5152 I'm working on and one of the zeners in the PSU is off by 2,5V. Should be 18V. The thing will not work properly with that one so much off, so I doubt it was born with it... Do they drift with age? Don't think I've seen that before myself. This unit could be +20 years old.

All zeners have a tolerance. Sometimes it's fairly high, like 10%. Also, the zener voltage is a little bit a function of the amount of current drawn through it (trying to remember my 'art of electronics' here). How's the condition of the series resistor before the zener?

Cheers,

Kris

I know they have a tolerance but it seems a wee bit much. The series resistors are close to spec, 2700 ohm.

Anyway, I've replaced them both.

I get it, High Plains Drifter!
Vague, subtle, but hi IQ. (kind of like Keef!)
:?
Actually the current is what drifts.
Put an ammeter on a zener sometime and watch the current oooze in and out.
That sounds weird and reminds me of that green Walrus!
Full moon on the way, so watch yourself.
A lot of arguments for some reason when this happens.
Screw it, let it all hang out!
Shalimar, I would love to hit the streets of Copenhagen with you. We could tear that place up!
Probably both be in 30 day rehab after the first week!
I have to jab it in my eyeballs because my veins are all scared up!
:grin:

Hehe, I did buy from a fellow in Texas, so you never know :razz:

CJ, you're welcome to rip my place apart :grin: , well yeah, if there wasn't any arguments we'd be bored wouldn't we?

And please don't call me Shalimar, Ole or sismofyt will do :wink: Or sysmofit/sysmofyt/or any of the other variations people seem to use here :roll:

Hey have a guiness :guinness:

Or try a real beer from Denmark :green:

%7B6D6F2EBB-9F29-4AEA-9C25-09672DFF2B5B%7D.jpg

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, ...

Man, it's been a while, I haven't seen any Elephant in the stores in a long time.
I think I am goint to go on a search and drink mission after work.!

Hey, Sismoyft... Sis-Muffet... ah, -anyway...

Do Carlsberg still make that 'Elephant' brew? Now that's a drink that commands respect!!!

-Not as syrupy as 'special brew', nor as strong, but it'll put you down faster than Mike Tyson on PCP!!!

-Named after the elephants carved at the Brewery gates on Copenhagen, unless I'm mistaken...

Keith

Oh man....

Haven't been to Copenhagen since 1988... it was Winter...

I do remember that the Beer was good, and the company was wonderful. Good beer, good friends, altogether there was a warmth that I remember despite it being the depths of winter! Ah.... it's almost as if my breath were frosting in front of my face right now! -I can see the smiling faces of my friends...

That does it!

I'm off to get hammered!

Keith

Have a nice nite :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :grin: :grin: :razz: :razz: :green:

Like you said, those elephants do fry the little grey ones :wink:

What's a zener, btw?

And where my beer?

Back