glowing NOS tubes... very simple question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loretto_meow

I found a store in my area that has a bunch of New Old Stock vacuum tubes, and even the plugs for them.

My question is, since I am extremely interested in these beautiful little pieces of history, is there any way i can just run current through them to make them glow?

Any schematics or ideas would be SOOOOOO appreciated :)

[email protected]

just a clarification... i mean literally do nothing with them but run current through them to make them glow.... not as part of an amp, or a radio... just the tubes, the sockets, and some current...

is this even possible?

The first digit(s) in the tube number are the heater voltage - so "12AX7" takes 12 volts.

Tubes don't glow very bright, though. You'd need to be in a dark room to really see them.

I believe one not-too-reputable manufacturer put yellow LEDs behind a 12AX7 to make it glow :roll:

Google the part # for the tubes you have and "datasheet". That will tell you the heater voltage and pins to supply :grin:

Sometimes I wonder about designing a circuit that has no components except for tubes . . . and maybe connectors :wink:

wow, thanks so much guys. And dont worry about the tubes, they're each one dollar, so i cant imagine them being very valuable to anyone else....

A dollar NOS tube today might be a $20.00 or more tube after someone posts something about how great it is in some circuit.

I have a bunch of very nice tubes than went for $.50 until something was posted on the web.

What is the $1.00 tube number?

:shock:

I assume this is for an art project or something? I hope it's not to create the "Tube/Valve" tagline in a piece of audiophool propaganda..

we have enough of those around.

Latest posts

Back