Focusrite Red 2 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I have an original Red 2 here (not Digi - dated January 2005) that on the right side, seems to flip the phase by a number of degrees (not 180) when engaged. The unit passes audio at unity gain for both sides when fully bypassed. I have a feeling that the problem is the pot for the make-up gain on the right side. The ground legs were broken off and even though I managed to solder the left one back on, the right was completely broken.

SO, if this is the issue, then the problem is finding these pots. The only info on them is this:

CVIM 9440
5k** A 10%

Is CVIM a brand name? I can't seem to find any info.

Thanks for any help,
Best regards,
Siegfried Meier

I know that http://www.thermalrelief.com/ have spare parts here : http://www.thermalrelief.com/focusrite_parts/Focusrite_Parts_01_030505.htm
Hope this helps.

No other part numbers. I have learned that they are Vishay pots. I need to find out from them what the replacement is, as they have changed alot.

The out of phase thing is most likely a cap issue, as the level drops a touch, and sounds very thin as well. I'll probably need to recap one side of this thing. While I'm at it, I may as well recap the other side too. Funny, it's only 11 years old - you wouldn't think you'd have to do all that.

Thanks!
Siegfried

Those Vishay/Sfernice pots used by focusrite are notorious for breaking down. I had problems with the pots in my red3 compressor.
The way these red series are build is kind of strange. The pcb's are held in place by the pots, which then rest on the outer casing....It's kind of fragile I think.

Totally. I noticed the same thing.

BTW, I don't have a schematic for this thing. Does anyone have one?

1 more question. Is what I'm hearing definitely a cap problem, or could the pots being defective make it sound like it is thin and out of phase on one side?

Thanks,
Siegfried

It is one that i like , in the eq's
If someone has the schematics , then if it is possible , i would also like to get them.
Email me at htgerbenzon(at)Hotmail(dot)com

No schems, sorry ....but I did found this on the net:

The CORRECT way to disassemble a Focusrite RED series unit:

1) Remove the (2) 6mm hex head bolts from the front left side of the unit.

2) Remove the (2) 6mm hex head bolts from the rear left side of the unit.

3) Remove left side panel and unplug ground wire from terminal post at the left rear corner of the PCB.

4) Loosen the (2) 6mm hex head bolts (1 turn should be enough) from the front right side of the unit.

5) Loosen the (2) 6mm hex head bolts (1 turn should be enough) from the rear right side of the unit.

6) Slide and/or flex the top cover off the unit and unplug ground wire from terminal post at the left rear corner of the PCB.

7) Slide and/or flex the bottom cover off the unit and unplug ground wire from terminal post at the left rear corner of the PCB.

If that's as far as you need to go tighten the right side screws back up to retain the structure of the unit while you work on it.

If you need to access the bottom pcb on units like a RED 2, 3, or 4 continue on:

8) Remove all the TOP channel knobs from the front panel.

9) To remove the back panel you must insert a small screwdriver into the "extra hole" in the XLR connectors and turn the latch a 1/8 of a turn to the left to release the XLR insert from the metal housing.

10) After all the XLR connectors are released, remove the (2) 6mm hex head bolts from the rear right side of the unit, pull the panel off and unplug the ground wire from the terminal near the power supply.

11) Remove the (4) 1.5mm screws fastening the power supply shield to the top PCB.

12) Unplug any ribbon connectors from the front panel to the top PCB.

13) At the back by the XLR connectors, unplug the ribbon connectors (either from the top pcb or bottom pcb, not both) to seperate the boards.

14) You can now slide the top pcb out towards the rear of the unit.

There you have it, the CORRECT way to dissasemble a Focusrite RED series unit.

-Tony

Before I knew this I had a hard time opening up my red.......

Back