How do I make a chassis and where can I get powder coating?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweak

I want to make my own chassis for a dual 1176 project. I don't know where I can get one cheap that doesn't have any name brand or company name on it. If anyone can help me with getting info on where to powder coat the chassis and how to build one or where I can buy these cheap in bulk (100 pieces minimum), I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all. Happy New Year! CHEERS!

at what stage do you mean 'build'? like construct completely yourself?

aluminum or steel.

go with a local powdercoater. they are everywhere now. city i used to live in with 45,000 people had about 4 of them. so if you live in a medium+ sized city should be easy.

t

I would like to learn more about both before making my final decision.

I like aluminum personally but would like to get feedback from the forum on this topic.

And when I said construct I was meaning completely construct as in from scratch (raw materials).

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year! CHEERS!

Last time I looked - the Hammond web site had pdf blueprints of all of their boxes

honestly unless you have the equipment yourself, its cheaper to buy an enclosure.

especially for Aluminum. a TIG welder is 1000+ for a beginner one.

-difficulty of working with aluminum
-needed equipment
-cost of anodization (unless you like all your stuff bare metal look)
cost of laserjet/waterjet if you want square/odd shaped holes on front

the cost of getting it anodized, probably 40$+, is almost the same amount as a middle atlantic single 2u enclosure. :sad:

well you dont have to go that far, i build my own racks, i never weld any of them and most pro racks are not welded or just point welded.

however i do have access to shear, and bending machine wich are essential to the process and cost alot, not to mention the space needed.
exept from the front panel i dont see any advantage using aluminum.

[quote author="yan_b"]........exept from the front panel i dont see any advantage using aluminum.[/quote]

I also like my back panel aluminum. Try making a square hole for the power plug in a steel one, that's a real PITA if you don't have the right tools.

Tweek;
Not to offend you but buy it!
Spend your time with a soldering iron in hand not saving a dollar
bending metal.

Get it from http://www.par-metal.com/
They are the next state over.
The 10 series is great.
1 rack space under $55
You will never make them taht cheap at home.
Your time is worth too much.

[quote author="adrianh"]Tweek;

Spend your time with a soldering iron in hand not saving a dollar[/quote]

$1,000,000.00 advise

"chaa - chinnnng"

I like using my DIY too much to care about figuring out how to save $ that can't be saved -orange drops are still a pretty penny but I'm not gonna skimp on that now! Just dealing with punching a nice looking front pannel was enoughfor my first time. next time I think I'll spring for the Front pannel express stuff.

I did a cave man style chassis for an LA2.
Went down to Orchard Supply and bought some thin sheet metal, used some wood blocks to clamp the metal in a vice, a rubber mallet to bend the corners, and some 90 degree drilled angles to bolt it together.
So you can go cheap, but it takes more labor,espesially if all you have is a hack saw, drill and vice.

chassis1.jpg

looks like crap if you walk around the back of the rack, but sounds good.

la_15.jpg

You can buy those 90's at the hardware for cheap, or bend your own and drill:

chassis2.jpg

10 bucks plus paint.

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Misc/la2_cj.jpg

Latest posts

Back