BBC Monographs: Use of transistors in sound broadcasting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioJohn

The BBC Research Department has its own Web site with many interesting documents - including ones of historic interest - right up to current matters of investigation and research.

This particular paper details the use of transistors in many items of Broadcast equipment - and shows circuit diagrams of microphone amps, line sending and receiving amps and PPM drive circuits. It is dated 1963:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/archive/pdffiles/monographs/bbc_monograph_46.pdf

Peter - I did make a note of the ribbon microphone monograph - intending to make a new topic of it later - but I will do this now!

John

[quote author="AudioJohn"]Peter - I did make a note of the ribbon microphone monograph - intending to make a new topic of it later - but I will do this now!

John[/quote]

Oops John, sorry ! Didn't want to... etc you'll understand.

All credits go to the BBC & you for finding that webpage :thumb:

Bye,

Peter

How nice of the BBC to finally publish this monograph on the net. I photo copied the original back in the 70s in my local library but lost a couple of pages along the way.

I had managed to find the other pages before this but isn't it always the way...just when you sort it!

When I first tucked away the photocopies I never envisaged the net, beam me up Scotty.

Larry

I'm glad you did save it, as I saw references to it and looked all over for it but to no avail. This is quite a useful paper and now even nicer with that cool blue cover, and the official crest with Griffins and Lions.

And the is an incredible amount of data, especially considering the tedious methods used in the 1950's. Shorter and Harwood had to plot everything (or get assistants/interns to do it) point by point. They even went so far as to make a larger-than-life test assembly because the measurement tools weren't good enough then for the actual size. Today all we have to do is download a freeware spectrum analyzer and learn how to use it.

That paper was very helpful in the early days, and along with Olson's book Acoustic Engineering, it was enough to get the real engineering going with new tools and materials.

Bob

Back