STC Ribbon mic help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

API

Hi.

I recently found an old STC 4033A ribbon/dynamic mic.
But i have not been ably to try it out since i did not get the special connector for it.
Also when i opened it up i saw that one connection for one side of the ribbon was loose.

So, my question is, where can i find a connector, and do you guys know anyone that can repair (and possibly re-ribbon) it???

Regards,
Dennis

Ask Coles!

They are the company who took over from STC.

I think they sell connectors, and they still repair STC / Coles ribbon microphones here in the UK. Also, when they re-ribbon microphones, they actually give a full service and re-magnetise the magnets so that the microphone is as good as new.

http://www.coleselectroacoustics.com/micservice.shtml

http://www.coleselectroacoustics.com/micaccessories.shtml

If you are very careful and do not breath on the microphone, then you should be able to re-solder the loose connection.

I should be getting one soon to play with!

Thanks for the input.
Since i am in Sweden i will try Coles first.

Is there anyone out there that actually owns this mic and uses it???
Any comments ????

Regard,s
Dennis

API .
I think I have a couple of these somewhere PM me your address,and if I can find them I'll send you one.
Andy

Can someone please tell me how to open this thing up!?

There are a few bits that look like screw-holes but they are covered in black waxy looking stuff.

There will be dissection photos on there way if you help me... :wink:

Bumpity bump....

There appear to be wax covered screws on the body, but I'm not sure which to unscrew.

There are 4 in total on the bottom:

(2 here)
dscn13331rz.jpg

(and another 2 here)
dscn13343cp.jpg

There is a final screw on the top too.

Any ideas?

Hi.

Do not touch the screws in the bottom!!!
They hold the "ball and buiscuit" mic!!
Just unscrew the top one and you will get the top cover off an then can slide the grill off.

Let me know how it works out!

Regards,
Dennis

Ahhh. Got it!

Have you managed to use your mic yet?

They sound quite strange! The cardioid setting is actually quite cool which combines the ribbon and moving coil.

Built like a tank!

No.

I have not tried it yet, i do not have the connector and the connection for one side of the ribbon is loose.
Cant find a way into the actual ribbon itself.
Do you know how??

[quote author="API"]
Cant find a way into the actual ribbon itself.
Do you know how??[/quote]

Yes.

What is loose? The ribbon itself, or the wire which connects to the ribbon clamp?

Roddy

When i pulled slightly in the cable that goes to the bottom end of the ribbon assembly i could pull out the thin metal piece that the cable is soldered to.
Do you know what i am talking about?

[quote author="API"]When i pulled slightly in the cable that goes to the bottom end of the ribbon assembly i could pull out the thin metal piece that the cable is soldered to.
Do you know what i am talking about?[/quote]

Do you mean the ribbon clamp?

It is a small rectangle-shaped piece of metal with two holes in it? There is also a small "pin" of metal which is soldered to the ribbon clamp - this could come off too.

Or do you mean the ribbon? ( :sad: ) It is a piece of foil.

I can give you photos if it will help you identify the part.

No, its not the ribbon itself.
If you take of the grill there are two pieces of metal sticking out of the ribbon assembly (one top, one bottom) which have the cables attached to them.
The bottom one i can pull out, so its not attached inside, must have come loose some way.
Any ideas??

[quote author="API"]No, its not the ribbon itself.
If you take of the grill there are two pieces of metal sticking out of the ribbon assembly (one top, one bottom) which have the cables attached to them.
The bottom one i can pull out, so its not attached inside, must have come loose some way.
Any ideas??[/quote]

Yes, I know what it is. It is the terminal which fits into the ribbon clamp.

There is a small hole in the ribbon clamp which you can fit the terminal into.

You will need to solder it well in place. Do not un-screw the ribbon clamps!

I may have a photo still if you need it.

Roddy

Ok, good to know.

The problem is that i cant seem to get into the ribbon assembly without breaking up the inside mesh grilled which seems to be glued in place.
Any ideas??

Hello again.

I finally got it open!!
But i had a mesh on the backside as well and had to carfully open it to get into the ribbon.
The bad news is that the soldering tab seems to be just an extension of the ribbon, ie the end of the ribbon!
And the problem is that its broken straight off to the clamp, so there is no way that i can solder it back!
So, i think a re-ribbon is neccesary.

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Coles will do a service for about £100 - £150.

Is the ribbon broken? If you think there is a slight chance that it can be fixed, then post a photo and I can see if it looks repairable.

I wouldn't get it re-ribboned by anybody other than Coles (Maybe Wes Dooley?) as the ribbon itself is very specific to the microphone and uses very thick foil.

Good Luck!

Roddy

Back