is this going to create a noise issue?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkmansound

I am almost done racking these pres - but I want to make sure having this transformer in the box like how its placed now is not going to create havoc.

I tried the pres with the transfomer on a table top as close as I could get it and did not notice any noise no matter how I rotated and turned the thing - but before I mount it into place I want to ask the experts - can't do any harm to ask right?

here is a photo:

t65.JPG

thanks!

If there were a problem you would do better to have the long axis of the trafo rotated through 90 degrees, and the approximate plane of the board traces and component loops bisect the trafo in the rotated location. In its present position the loops of the winding couple into any loops on the PCB, but evidently not in any serious way---looks like the more sensitive stuff is not at that end of the board.

Watch also when and if you rack up this near other equipment, what the trafo field does to them.

another tidbit of experience.. did you try it with the cover ON? sometimes you won't see/hear some of the nasties in certain situations. Try it with the cover on and see if you get the same results.

no, I just tried it out of the chassis entirely.

But I did move the transformer around so that it was right next to where all of the audio signal was and there was no issue - I am hoping the chassis shields other gear from the transformer.

the enclosure is just big enough to fit this project - its a little too close for comfort actually. I am considering the idea of putting the transformer and the green PSU into a seperate little enclosure and running a 4 pin DIN into the rack unit. But thats just going to take more time and money - those are trident 65 channels, so its not like I am dumping time into a project thats going to be hugely rewarding anyway, its just fun to work on and better than anything I have here at home.

another option I guess would be to mount the transformer onto the outside of the boxand run the wires through a little hole - but I am thinking that might be the thing that affects other gear.

just give it a try with the lid on. I'm not sure it will be bad at all. you could shield it with something if it gives you trouble.

yeah, I was thinking of making a little shielding wall with the ends of the channel strips if I needed to.

thanks for the tips - I will try with the lid on tomorrow when I get back into it.

If the chassis is aluminum it won't help much for magnetic shielding. If it is ferromagnetic then it may help some, but that will also be the situation where having the cover on may have a significant effect on the coupling to the internal circuitry, as svart cautions.

OTOH if you can't see any effect moving the trafo around the board you apparently have a nice layout with small pickup loops to being with.

Latest posts

Back