Practice kits for soldering on printed circuit boards?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lars

Hi everyone

Do you have any suggestions for a cheap kit with printed circuit boards where I can learn solder? I suggest radioshack makes them.. It would be perfect for me to make a headphone-amplifier, because that is something which I actually need.

I have just bought 8 SCA C84 preamps, but I wont try to assemble them before I get some more experience.

Thanks,
Lars

where are you located? veroboard are useful to learn soldering on, we also had some form of copper net (made of copper leads) to practis on back in the schooldays

Get an old Junk PC board from a home stereo or VCR, TV or whatever, and first de-solder and remove the components, and then re-insert the parts and solder them back. This enables you to learn desoldering and soldering, best of all it doesn't cost you anything if you already have an iron and solder.

Velleman kits are good. They probably make a good headphone amp.

Remember to use a decent soldering iron (Antex, Weller, etc.)

[quote author="BYacey"]Get an old Junk PC board from a home stereo or VCR, TV or whatever, and first de-solder and remove the components, and then re-insert the parts and solder them back. [/quote]
Excellent advice! In this case, the best kit is free.

Thanks for advice. Today I will go to a container outside a computer-shop where people throw away "old" computers and accessories. At these places it is eay to find a working computer that can be used for writing and internet.

Morten

[quote author="BYacey"]Get an old Junk PC board from a home stereo or VCR, TV or whatever, and first de-solder and remove the components, and then re-insert the parts and solder them back. This enables you to learn desoldering and soldering, best of all it doesn't cost you anything if you already have an iron and solder.[/quote]

Take it 1 step further. Get something that works, take it apart & put it back together again. If it still works you're licensed. :thumb:

[quote author="Butterylicious"][quote author="BYacey"]Get an old Junk PC board from a home stereo or VCR, TV or whatever, and first de-solder and remove the components, and then re-insert the parts and solder them back. This enables you to learn desoldering and soldering, best of all it doesn't cost you anything if you already have an iron and solder.[/quote]

Take it 1 step further. Get something that works, take it apart & put it back together again. If it still works you're licensed. :thumb:[/quote]

Now that sounds like the most logical thing I've heard all week.

You get a cookie!

I second the vote for Velleman kits.
Very simple. Nice boards with solder pads.

Previously I used perfboard and globby solder.
My first velleman kit (a cheap preamp) I realized how easy it is to solder on an actual prepped board. Suddenly my solder joints looked perfect. You'll be impressed. And you'll never want to do a "non-pcb" project again.

Kato

Latest posts

Back